View Single Post
Old 4th January 2007, 12:42 AM   #6
steveC

Default RE: Replacing a 105L Hyper

Hi Speedchaser,

geo has opened an interesting door in suggesting the iS94, especially since it would support your 6.6 and 7.6 sails. However, you did indicate that one of your goals was to slalom race. There has been some interesting discussion in recent thread where geo was one of the participants, and the iS94 and iS101 were both at the core of that conversation. Width (narrow versus wide) was a key point in the discussion. I tend to think more like geo, with a preference for a narrower design, but much of this is because of my lighter weight and my focus on "fun" free sailing. Still though, Starboard's Ian Fox was a strong proponent for the iS101 because it offered a strong straight line performance through rougher waters, yet it had a bit more width to allow it to excel through and out of the transitions. Of course, he's a bigger guy, so I can understand why he might find it a better all round choice.

The question that you need to ask yourself is what sail you tend to use more often. A heavy use of the 7.6 will probably point to the iS101 as the optimum choice, particularly if the conditions are somewhat up and down. Fortunately, you've had the Hyper 105, so I'm sure that you're quite familiar handling the extra width and volume. Also, even though your weight is on the light side, you have an advantage with the added leverage possible with your tall stature.

On the other hand, the iS94 still remains a very attractive alternative. It would be arguably faster in the windier and rougher conditions. If the 6.6 sail sees a lot use, the scale could more likely tip in favor of the iS94.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote