View Single Post
Old 4th June 2011, 12:04 AM   #5
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I would never even consider a 460 RDM. Might even sell my 430 and 400 RDM`s from experiences I`ve had !! Cant see point in having a tougher mast if it results in a less efficient sail..
Whatever ... you are 105Kg and you are basing your conclusion on one mast that does not fit you. There are whole lines of sails out there (e.g North or Hot) built around a single RDM mast covering 4.0/4.5 to 6.0/6.5 ... who knows if a RDM has more or less range than a SDM (whatever range means). And your observation that a more flexible mast has less upper range makes actually little sense, hard to tell what it is going on but it might not be what you think it is. A softer masts, SDM or RDM, should make overpowered sailing easier: you might loose some power, bottom end, but you gain control.

As far as weights, who really cares, but compare any numbers out there and you will see that a 70-80% SDM has roughly the same weight of a 90-98% RDM. To see a weight gain you have to use a 100% SDM or compare with a 65% RDM.

Last edited by davide; 4th June 2011 at 12:30 AM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote