View Single Post
Old 16th June 2011, 12:03 AM   #12
BelSkorpio

Let's also make a difference between "drag" and "grip".

I would define "drag" as a negative aspect that is caused by the wetted surface and also the fin surface, which slows us down in the (intended) direction we want to go.

I would define "grip" as a positive aspect that prevents us from going in a unintended sidewards direction.
The key parameters are the wetted surface in combination with the sharp leeward rails and the fin.
Wider boards give us less grip so more fin action and fin surface is required. Did you ever try a formula board with let's say a 40cm fin. I did, it dances around on the water.

It's logical that there's a strong correlation between "drag" and "grip". (same parameters are involved)

Then last but not least, I consider "lift" as a secondary function of the fin.
You always have it, if you want it or not. It's a side effect of the fin. And in most cases it is a positive one because it helps us planing. But like with many advantages, they quickly can become a disadvantage if you have too much of it. Over finned boards will try to fly off the water, causing instability and lack of control. Much of this can be countered by skilled riders of course. Well, I don't want to go into this any further, because there is already another thread of 9 pages about this.

Last edited by BelSkorpio; 16th June 2011 at 12:08 AM.
BelSkorpio is offline   Reply With Quote