View Single Post
Old 1st August 2011, 05:42 AM   #8
IRL-250

Send a message via Skype™ to IRL-250

As Ken said Rogers technique of railing is what you need to do in light winds and non planing conditions.

I have found since i have owned my Phantom the technique you use to rail the board is different from long boards of the late nineties where they were very easy to get on the rail as they railed almost by them self. The Phantom has to be coaxed up onto it's rail otherwise it will sail fairly flat upwind and how i do this is first get into my harness so i can hang off the harness and get the weight of my feet, get my feet into the beating straps and then i lift/pull up with my feet so the board pops onto it's rail. Once up there the lift from the daggerboard helps keep it on it's rail and you can really get good speed upwind like this.

One thing i have definitely learned sailing the Phantom upwind is unless it's absolutely nuking don't stick the mast foot right at the front of the track as i find the board doesn't go upwind well like this. I put the mast foot in the 5th position back from the front in light winds up to about 15-20 knots, 4th position back from the front up to 30 knots and then the 3rd position back from the front in over 30 knots and i have had no need to use the 1st & 2nd positions upwind since i have been racing my phantom. The only time the mast foot get puts at the front of the track is running down wind in light winds

KA Sails (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Chinook (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Vector Maui Fins (
)
Pro Motion Wetsuits (
)
Wind & Wave (
)
Curve (
)
Windsurfingfins (
)

KA Koncept 4.4, 5.0, 5.8, 6.6, 7.5, 8.3, 9.5
KA Kaos 4.2, 4.7, 5.3,
KA Kult 5.8, 6.4m

Starboard - Isonic Speed W53, Phantom 380, Quatro 85l Evil Twin Custom.
IRL-250 is offline   Reply With Quote