Thread: Board selection
View Single Post
Old 10th August 2011, 07:56 PM   #1
komandir

Default Board selection

Hello dream team

I'd like to ask the most common question - what to choose .

I started windsurfing only two months ago by lending Starboard Start M of 2006 (260*90 cm, 205 L, 14 kg, 40 cm Drake fin) from my friend with some cheap rig of 5m2. Later on I bought a secondhand Gaastra Pilot 7.0 rig. I'm 70 kg, by now I can beachstart, do tacks, basic jibes, go upwind without daggerboard, use harness non-planing. Totally I spent 50-60 hours on water. I sail mostly in fresh water (big inland reservoir app. 12*75 km), usual winds here are 5-8 m/s, sometimes up to 15 m/s (but it's unlikely that I will sail in winds more than 10-12 m/s in near future), wind is quite gusty. 5-10 times in a season I may go to seashore for several days looking for more stable winds of 7-12 m/s.

Many guys in our club say that I need to switch to a smaller board – most common opinion is 125-135L, some say I can take 115L.

I have tried 125L (69 cm width) for couple of hours (in salt water) - the wind was very light like 3-4m/s and it was quite choppy. I could uphaul and go, but couldn’t turn.

Last week I took Starboard S-Type 115L ( 64 cm width) form friend of mine and had 6 sessions of 2-3 hours with it (with small rig of 5.0), winds 2-7m/s, flat fresh water – I could uphaul and go, but I couldn’t turn (just several tacks during the whole week, and hundreds of uphauls – it was absolutely exhausting and no fun at all)

I had a 2-hour session on 135L (70 cm width) , flat water, 4-6 m/s, 5.0 rig – it was doable, I was quite comfortable doing tacks, the feeling was very similar the first times on a big board.
I had an hour session with 145L(72 cm width) and 7.0.rig, 3-5m/s, flat water – it was quite easy, I did tacks and went upwind.
So the minimum doable volume for me is 135 in flat water, but I'm afraid in choppy conditions it may appear very difficult to sail on 135L.

What do you think will be the best choice for quickest progress and most fun for me? Fun for me means planing at mid-speeds (in up to 50cm chop), training planing jibes, light-wind freestyle elements and waterstart.
komandir is offline   Reply With Quote