View Single Post
Old 12th August 2011, 04:54 PM   #52
Unregistered

Wink the strengths of kiting and the very real limitations.

Winters in Canada is a boon to kiters, and a curse to the windsurfers. Winter has swelled kiting numbers but summer seems to put many off why
1. water depth
2. wind direction
3. open area to launch

windsurfing has no such limitations.

Kiting and learning to kite in the winter is never easier as the water is now "hard".Simply strap on skiis and snowboards that they would use at the ski hill and use small easy to handle kites to get going.

The KEY thing here is that no matter what DIRECTION the WIND is in, a walk out into a frozen lake covered with soft snow makes for the perfect wind angle every time and the lake surface an easy place to launch the kite.
For this reason alone kiting has skyrocketed here.

BUT ... the opposite happens in the spring and summer, NOW one cannot walk out into the middle of a lake to take advantage of the wind in any direction or the large expanse of the frozen lake surface for an easy launch.

Many who learned to kite on frosen lakes now have very limited options. Kiters seem to only kite in one particular spot here , that offers a large launching area and shallow water way out , also that is when the wind blows in a narrow range of wind directions.
Even then in offshore, and onshore winds and the kiters thin way out. While offshore winds here offer some of the best highspeed windsurfing to be had.

I have been asked advice by many people if they should take up kiting, I am not against kiting , but I always inquire where they want to do it ,
I tell them theres the ONE spot in our location to kite , no others , if they want to go there all the time fine its a great spot for kiting.
BUT If they say their cottage or vacation home on an inland lake i invariably say its not for them. Knowing full well the wind would have to be prefect sideshore , the water shallow and a large area to launch is needed.
And invariably this would always be the case with people on the hundreds of lakes in the forests of Ontario.

Kick down the centreboard of a windsurfer and sail out past that point of land in any wind direction in any lake more then 3 feet deep , not so for kiters.

and that is the strength that cannot be underestemated of windsurfing ,
anywhere ,
anytime,
in virtually any wind direction or strength. I have a cottage and i would never give up windsurfing because of this.

Jeff E of the GWN

starboard stype 104/ evo 94/ formula 155 / F-2 lightning WC Edition ( the board that does it all)
and a few other older ones.