View Single Post
Old 2nd September 2011, 03:55 AM   #1
BelSkorpio

Default "speed jibe" versus "power jibe"

Hi,

I'm just back from very nice windsurf holidays in Rhodes.

Over there, the guy from the windsurf center explained me the difference between a "speed jibe" and a "power jibe".

Both jibes start the same, i.e. take the back foot out of the strap and place it onto the downwind rail to start the carve.

With the "power jibe" you change the front foot (still in the strap) and back foot to the new position BEFORE you flip over the sail.
With the "speed jibe" you change the front foot (still in the strap) and back foot to the new position AFTER you flip over the sail.

This means that I'm always doing a "power jibe". It's the only jibe I've learned and know how to do.

In a sort of funny way he also said that the "old windsurfers" - often flat water slalom guys - all do the easier power jibe.
According to him, in choppy & wavy sea conditions, it's better to do a "speed jibe".

I've tried it a couple of times, but no success. It's a strange feeling with both feet still in the reversed position while the sail is already in the new position. Most of the times I've lost all speed and could't get the front foot out of the strap any more, with a rather silly drop into the water as a result.

According to me, the "power jibe" has the advantage to easier maintain the planing speed because the weight is faster shifted forwards.

What are your ideas about this ?