View Single Post
Old 15th January 2007, 10:04 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Trading a Carve 122 on a ISonic 135

Hi Vinny,
What sail did you use in 20+ knots yesterday?
In your original post you only mention an 8.2 and a 9.3.
If you were on an 8.2 in 20+ knots you may have been simply "overpowered".
Even big guys like yourself can use smaller 6.0-7.0 m2 rigs when the wind gets up over 20 knots.
If you used the 8.2 m2 rig did you add alot more downhaul and a bit more outhaul to depower the sail?
Give Isonic 135 another try in conditions in the 12-18 knot range and I think you'll find it's very fast and pretty easy to keep on the water.
Keeping the board on the water could be partially rig tuning/sizing (too much power) or also partially mast foot positioning (mast foot not trimmed out to a point that holds the board on the water without increasing it's waterline length.
The Carve should be quite good for a fellow your size in about 16-22 knots.
Beyond 22 knots you need a smaller board like the Carve 111 or 101.
But you will need to perfect those waterstarts before going down to an almost "sinker" board.
Keep working on your waterstarts, that's the key to staying comfortable on smaller boards. Once you have the waterstart mastered, and are using smaller rigs, high winds won't give you so many problems.
The Isonic 135 should be a really good "midsize" board for your quiver.
I just had the '07 Isonic 122 out for the first time yesterday with first a 7.8 (not quite enough for the fluky Florida 8-12 knot winds) and then on a 8.5.
Perfect! I was going really well and had just "headed off" on a speed run when I ran onto a slightly submerged oyster bar at 25+ knots.
A major catapault/yard sale for sure....!
Fortunately I only got one small scratch on an arm, but the boom head exploded, the luff sleeve on the brand new 8.5 m2 was kinda "shredded " on the oyster shells, and the fin is going to need alot of work.
So, even with lots of experience, you can have some problems windsurfing as it's always a very "dynamic" sport.
Fortunately I was able to wrap the inhaul line around the mast and secure the boom enough to sail slowly back to shore about a mile and a half.
Hope this helps,
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote