View Single Post
Old 19th January 2012, 04:14 PM   #6
sergio k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Hi Sergio,
Ever sail an Apollo?
That was the early planing king!
I agree with some of what you say, an older smaller Formula board (ala F-155) would be very good,
But I see some real issues jumping from a 5.5 m2 rig to a 10 m2 plus modern formula rig with
550 masts and huge heavy booms on a 2010 and later full formula race board.
I was looking at a progression.....
Also, rgomez (the OP) was looking for something that planes in the 5-10 knot range.
I think we both have enough experience to say that no one planes in < 7-8 knots, even with a huge
=> 10m+ sail and the very best technique.
I will stick with my opinion that a modern full on formula board (even a beat up used one) is still going to be fragile, hard to get planing with smaller rigs and fins, so it's not optimum as a progression board from
the Funster 180.
Roger
Going from 5.5 m2, if you going formula route, I'd recommend 'ease in' with 8.0+ m2 than get 10m2 for light weight person. Planning threshold, I can plane with 10m2 on formula in 6-8 knots, if lulls go into 5-6 knots that would stop me, also depends on state of the water and the 'weed factor', If I get 11 m2 I could gain another 1/4 knot maybe. Don't see point in Apollo unless you're a passive rider or super heavy, and if you're passive(don't like to pump)-formula is not for you, it is physical/active sailing, not BAF...
You can also super change regular formula with 80-85 cm uncut fin (that what Apollo had from what I recall).
On Ultrasonic vs. Formula with 8/9 m2 sails, if that your largest sail, I'd recommend USonic, formula needs power, 8-9 m2 generally for high wind unless you're under 130lb
And formulas SB155 and older - don't plane as well as newer ones, again if you have an active sailing style,
if passive, those boards are a lot closer to Usonic performance, I'm guessing , Roger, that why you like those better + USonic.