View Single Post
Old 9th March 2012, 01:17 AM   #92
SeanAUS120
Dream Team Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SeanAUS120

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffig View Post
Hi,
a few riders over here have found it really "sticky" in order to get it into planning mode, particularly in marginal conditions (8-9 knots).
I think this is to do with the deeper cutouts; they seem to create a bit of a 'suck' under the board. That being said, I haven't had too much trouble with getting planing in very light winds, and I'm not using a 12m anymore ... It is definitely slower in the gybes with this extra width I believe and I think you have to always pump it from outside the straps when you try to plane (ie, not putting your front foot in the front strap, as this seems to dig the windward rail quite a bit on such a big board).

The key is with this board is that the tail is so powerful it generates a LOT of lift from the fin. So you don't need a big fin at all, in fact, you want just a really FAST fin.... I've been using a 70cm in all wind conditions very successfully and will probably go with that all season (how nice is one fin only!). I see a few guys on the Z's are using 71cut in all conditions and on the VMG like I am using a lot are going for 70 or up to a 73 ... so there's no need to use anything bigger than a few cm cutdown .. it's just drag and actually makes the board very hard to control downwind when the wind gets up....