View Single Post
Old 24th January 2007, 02:50 AM   #3
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme
Default RE: Early planning gear light weight sailors

I just posted to a similar topic, but let me respond to Lampi. For the most part, I couldn't agree more. After taking my 8.0 Retro out on an F-Type 148 with a 66cm fin, I found I could plane VERY early. I do have a 9.8 V8 and 70cm fin I use when the wind is at its lightest.

I will be doing more testing between these two setups. I was surprised how well the 8.0 and the FType did and I want to see how much I gain by using a 9.8. If I can get out there with less sail, when I'm out of shape, my back and forearms would be happier.

I am going to buy a tandem windsurfer for the lightest of winds. My wife and I will be able to sail together and enjoy the day. It will sort of be like going canoing. I also have resurrected an old Windsurfer Classic. I can put the 8.0 Retro on that and sail. I have found that it is a blast to go out on!

On the subject of kiting, I want to resist picking up another sport. It keeps the funds for windsurfing more available.

Here is the text from my other post on this subject...

I'm 140-145 pounds.

My current lightwind gear is an F-Type 148 and a 9.8 V8. My next smaller sail is a 8.0 Retro. When sailing with heavier sailors (180-200 pounds), I find they go to a 10.6 V8 and a formula board when I'm on my 9.8 V8 and FT148.

The other week, I was using my 8.0 Retro and an iSonic 105 (stock 40cm fin) when the winds were strong enough for it. A friend was on his formula board with a 10.6. He definitely planed earlier than me, but it wasn't by much. I was surprised how close I was to keeping up with him. I should have been on my 9.8 with my F-Type 148, but I wanted to test the low-wind tolerances of my Retro and iSonic combination.

I put a 66cm fin on my F-Type after he packed up and found the 8.0 Retro to be amazing in light winds (I rigged it to the numbers). I use a 70cm fin when I rig the 9.8 V8, by the way.

Here's a picture of me that afternoon with the 8.0 Retro and an F-Type 148. You can see from the water that there wasn't much wind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote