Thread: Serenity.
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2012, 02:39 PM   #9
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alena View Post
Hi Jean - Marc
Could you also let me know if there is a benefit to sailing the Serenity with a 10 meter sail?
Somebody told me it is not necessary and would sail just as well with a smaller sail?
Thanks
Alena
Alena,

That's correct : no needs for a super jumbo sail to enjoy the serene glide of the Serenity in a gentle brise.

However, my approach is a bit different and radical than that of yours as I want to be as fast and as efficient as possible against any sail-powered boat or craft on my home lake. Therefore, I need the most powerfull rig in winds as low as 2-3 knots. I completely agree with Roger that a well grunty 7.5 m2 sail la Severne Glide is quite efficient as well. However, numerous match racing between 2 Serenitys and sails of 6.0-11 m2 has proven time over time that the biggest sail is always faster in 3-7 knots of winds. Even with the same 11 m2 sail surface, the speed difference between 2 Serenitys can ultimately be influenced by the rider's weight, skills and his sail's trim.

Unless you want to be the fastest rider on your home spot, there is no need for a 10 m2 sail on your Serenity. Sure, I can enjoy riding my Serenity with a smaller sail such as a 8.6 m2 or a 7.7 m2 sail, but I know I will always be faster with a 11.0 m2 sail. The trade-off, as you had discovered yourself first-hand, is that such jumbo sails are a pain to handle once the rig fells into water or when the wind starts to pick up a bit too much.

Serenity wind range for my 183 cm x 65 kg body :

1) Severne Code Red R2 11.0 or Reflex II 11.0 m2 + stock Drake 70 cm XXL fin : 2-7 knots.

Above 7-8 knots of wind, the 11 m2 sail is way too large for the Serenity and I just swap the sail on a dedicated planing board (iSonic117 Wide + 55 cm fin). With that board, I can start and sustain the planing as of 7 knots up to 12 knots of wind.

2) NP RS2 8.2 or Severne Reflex III 8.6 m2 + stock Drake 70 cm XXL fin : 3-10 knots.

Above 10 knots of wind, the 8.6 m2 sail is becoming way too large for the Serenity and I just swap the sail on a dedicated planing board (iSonic117 Wide + 48 cm fin). With that board, I can start and sustain the planing as of 10 knots up to 15+ knots of wind.

3) Severne Code Red 7.7 m2 + stock Drake 70 cm XXL fin : 4-12 knots.

Above 12 knots of wind, the 7.7 m2 sail is way too large for the Serenity and I just swap the sail on a dedicated planing board (iSonic117 Wide + 40 cm fin). With that board, I can start and sustain the planing as of 11-12 knots up to 18+ knots of wind.

Reality check is that I'm always using option (1). I was forced to use options (2) or (3) when mast, boom or big sail of option (1) were broken in winds that were blowing well below the planing threshold of the large slalom board. It's much more fun to glide with the Serenity than to schlogg as a pig with a large slalom board :-) !

As for tacking the Serenity, bank the board with the windward rail up and tilt the rig on the back towards the tail to head up dead upwind. Then, it's way easier to keep your balance when you simply oversheet the sail when you're dead upwind, with your front foot just in front of the mast base. Check out the following video at time 2:05 and 3:28 to see what I mean by sail oversheeting : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V97ikRFQDdU

Finally, you can order any spare part from your starboard dealer. Make sure it's for a Serenity mark I when filling the order.
To avoid loosing that cover as you did, I fix it with a small piece of auto-adhesive Velcro band that is glued into the groove of both the cover and cup holder. Make sure you use the rubber washer with the fin screws to avoid filling the cup holder by water when the board travels into water. When water fills up the cup holder because fin screws are not water-tight, it just make the cover pops out like the cork of a champagne bottle...

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote