View Single Post
Old 20th June 2012, 04:31 PM   #5
Ken

Unregistered,

There are so many variables (body weight, board volume, board width, wind speed, skill level, water conditions, type of sailing, salt/fresh water) that there just isn't a simple way to provide what you want.

That's why there is a forum to help individuals determine what will work best for you given your circumstances and skills. That's Roger's goal.

For each board, given it's volume, width , length and design purpose, certain size sails work best, regardless of body weight.

For me at 165 lbs, it's somewhat easy for me to uphaul a 105 liter board (it doesn't sink) and deal with little or no wind if I get stuck. We each find our comfort zone for uphauling based on our skill, sailing site and typical conditions, and it will vary quite a bit for many sailors of the same weight on the same board.

Some 150 lb sailors had difficulty uphauling on a 200 liter board when they began windsurfing and with highly developed skills, can now uphaul an 75 liter board.

Those of us that think before we act and ask questions or research windsurfing, are never victims.

I find that I have the most fun on the smallest board that will maintain good speed/planing given the wind conditions. For me, that's over 20 knots of wind. While I still have fun in lighter winds on bigger boards/sails, the smaller board it just more fun. I think this is true for most windsurfers that get frequent or occasional windy days, but we sometimes go too far and select something that is too small and struggle a bit. It's just a little too much optimism at times, expecting the wind to do more than it can. Bummer, then we have to re-rig something larger.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote