View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2012, 07:04 PM   #10
Floyd1957

Unhappy

Windalchemist

Agree with your last post (not so much your first) but with greatest respect comments from other posters along lines of...

"The difference is that we (men) are more enthusiast and able to bear a lot of hits and falls "

"I guess most women have no interest for technical stuff"

"otherwise they simply refuse to keep trying"

"few of them like to push their limits like most of the men do".

"when she is good enough to practice by herself - with friends - do not leave her coping with all the house chores and babysitting that will eventually prevent her from sailing, and make her quit"

--- are without doubt sexist. I admire your standpoint of either ignoring it or looking for best etc etc but many women in nearly every sport (and work) have been (and still are) subjected to this type of discrimination.(Actually utter BS)

It starts at home.(I had comments from relatives "what is he doing taking his girls skiing?")
If we are to more attract people into our sport we can not do it paying homage to the stereotyping seen in this thread. There are no great sportspeople who have achieved the outstanding by somebody somewhere making "allowances". We are all individuals needing certain help;praise . cajoling and at times contructive criticism. Being a "girl" should neither bring advantages or add barriers. There are females who can tolerate cold ; there are some that cant. There are men who push themselves ; there are many that dont. The most driven individual I ever coached was a girl.The least tolerant to water temperature was a bloke. I can not say from that women are driven and men dont like the cold..It varies within both groups.

Getting more females into sport is about changing stigma in society and not about changing the sports. (Same arguments apply to getting more women into engineering/law/surgery/politics etc etc.)

IMHO comments on here reflect this..