View Single Post
Old 29th January 2007, 08:58 AM   #3
steveC

Default RE: Is Starboard F-type good for me?

Hi marek,

While James above has offered a conservative, and probably a very pragmatic view, it would have never sustained my interest over the long run. Hanging tough on sub-planing conditions wouldn't have offered enough. Nevertheless, James has presented a reality that many face. As a result, you need to be honest about your conditions. When it comes down to it, I'm really an advocate for more than a single board. Without having to develop a complex sail quiver, one can target subplaning and planing conditions with a couple of boards to start. That way, a sailor can leverage off the conditions available. A bit more expensive, but based on strategy that's founded on your realistic opportunities.

Spend premium dollars on the mainstream requirements, but allow for the possible alternatives. The mainstream doesn't have to be the lightweight alternative, especially if you understand your local conditions and your ability to participate.

Only you can truly appreciate your local conditions, yet I would highly recommend coordinating with local sailors to learn more about what's going on. Others can be your door and threshold to understanding the possible alternatives. Ideally, you want to enjoy the sport with others, so communication means quite a bit.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote