View Single Post
Old 10th April 2013, 03:18 PM   #8
Nakaniko Unregistered

Reading some of the last posts make me so happy for that crazy decision I've made two years (and half) ago to buy that incredible board, my Serenity Sportech MKII, even taking my car in an autumn day and going straight from Venice to Munich and then back to personally collect my dreamy board (not having much faith in carriers to be able to safely transport a 460 cm board).
I was wrongly supposing that many riders were thinking badly at the dimensions of my baby, I see that there is still a real need of that incredible board. And yes I see around even some 17 foot sups, so the lenght seems not to be the main problem.
Pheraphs trying to make it slighly wider and/or less round hull, to match the sup race-standars.. It will loose for sure some gliding abylity but be more interesting for sup-ers that could also sail on it.
Even if in flat water I've tried to sup my Serenity and it doesn't seems so impossible to row on it
About the long sups, it's always the same story, sup now is super-trendy and so what seemed to be boring with windsurf is a must-go with sups. Not to say that the standing rowing over a sup is a way less efficient way of roving over a boat-board than sitting and with a double paddle like on a kayak, or reversed with back to the bow, like on an olympic rowing boad, we well know here in Venice that are since ancnient time standing rowers. But it's the tend of the moment...
Anyway I've seen that when you have a Serenity the need for paddling becomes so rare, because we live really in a world with poor winds, but sea is almost never totally windless, and that marginal breeze is what is needed to enjoy the riding with it...
On the opposite I start seeing that a new problem is increasing about my Serenity. Up to now, when wind was increasing and so I was jumping on a planing board I was feeling safe to leave the Serenity unattended, thinking that nobody would have beeen interested in such a strange long board. Now that it's becoming a collector's item I won't be so quiet living it alone...;-))