Thread: Is107 or Is117
View Single Post
Old 2nd December 2013, 10:24 PM   #8
mattsurf

Mikeb how did you manage to register on this site - every time I click register, it says closed for registration, I have tried on several PCs and with different security settings.

I am really looking forward to getting my Is110 - should be here for the weekend, and Sunday is looking good. It will be my first outing on my new Sails (well Ant Baker's 2013 sails), so far I have only managed to sail the 8.6 - which was good for over 30kts on my GPS, so I have high hopes for the Is110

When I thought about it, it was a pretty easy decision to get the Is110. I considered pretty much everything from the Is107, Is111, Is110, Is117 and Is122

Since I have an Is101 (which is actually 97L and shares dimensions with the Is97) I am sure that this is the board that I will be on if it is really windy and choppy. As the Is107 is only 5cm wider, I consider these boards to be too close. I spoke to a few of the BSA guys, and a board less than 95L is considered unnecessary unless you are lightweight. The 107 only makes sense if your change down board is an Is87 or Is90

The 117 doesn't seem to have that many fans (unlike the 117W which is really popular), from what I can understand, even though the 117 has a similar length and width to the 110, it is much wider in the tail, and does not have the wind range of the 110 (which is the most important aspect of the mid size board

The 2010 Is111 was harder to dismiss, half the price of an Is110. It seems to have been one of the "best" boards in the 2010 range. However, I believe that it is close in performance to the 107, but trickier to gybe and does not have as big a wind range as either the 107 or 110

The 2009 Is122 seems to have position as an extremely competent board in gusty conditions when the 85cm wide boards over power, however, most feedback was that it had a useful place in the range, but was never a favourite (I suspect rather like my Mistral AB 123). I felt that the gap between the 122 and 101 was too big and the 122 would be a handful before I would be happy on the 101

I am about to buy a very nice 2009 Is133 as my big board - I am hoping that with a good fin I will not lose out too much on the newer Is127's - Age and a lack of fitness will mean that I will never be super competetive in lighter winds. I looked really hard for a 2010 Carbon Is131 but couldn't find one.

I welcome feedback from the experts here - my analysis is from hours of searching different reviews (sometimes in different languages) and from feedback on this forum. I thought that I would add a comprehensive summary as I really hate it when there is a good thread, which ends without a good summary.

After I have tested these boards, I will post my thoughts and a comparision, from the perspective of an amateur racer, between Isonics and 2010/11 Mistral Anders Bringdal Slalom 123 and 2008 Fanatic Falcon 105