View Single Post
Old 28th February 2014, 01:53 PM   #5
mcross19

Hi guys, finally got round to trying out the Atom 110 yesterday. Conditions were cross offshore and slightly gusty with some mild wind chop at one end of the bay. I rigged my Neil Pryde Fusion 6.7m and slotted in the standard fin and set the foot straps to mid position. My first impression was how stable it was even at slogging speeds but it soon burst onto the plane at the hint of a first gust, I soon hit a lull and the board just breezed through it with no need to take my feet out of the staps. Bearing away in the bigger gusts I could achieve some reasonable speed, even keeping up with a guy on a freerace board and similar sized sail. The board doesn't feel fast because it so darn smooth. Coming across the smallish chop it sailed through it like it wasn't even there. As for the gybes it was responsive and again smooth and this board would definitely help those learning the carve gybe. Tacking it was like tacking a slalom board though, you have to be quick with the feet as the nose sinks, actually the nose sinks if you even put your big toe beyond the mast base when not planning but not a problem for the more experienced sailors. If this board were a touch longer it would appeal to more beginner intermediate groups but that is just my opinion. As for sail sizing goes I would not really want to use any smaller than a 6m at my weight of 86kg but I think it would be ok with a 7.5 as a max size sail but then it would really benefit a slightly bigger fin.

All in all a board fit for the purpose I bought it for.

Last edited by mcross19; 28th February 2014 at 04:31 PM.
mcross19 is offline   Reply With Quote