View Single Post
Old 8th February 2007, 11:46 PM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

Default RE: Wave Board Dilema - Ola

I have not sailed the latest incarnation of the RWW, so I can only rely on experience from earlier versions complemented from reports from ther people.

To be honest, I don't think you will find the E80 planing up as easy as the RWW. The RWWs are kind of more freestyle-wave like in its character and one of the benefits is a "well defined" trim which makes it easier to both get going and to stay upwind. The word "easily" is carefully choosen, since it is more a question of hte RWW needing less technique and less work to do these things than a question about "absolute performance". So, if you really value general "easy riding" the JP is hard to beat. This get more emphasised whan sail size aproaches 6.0. At 5.3 and smaller the difference is less apparent and the more powered up you are the better the E80 handles upwind.

On the other hand, the JP gets more limited both in better waves and in higher wind. It will start to bounce and generally just feel big earlier and in waves it will suit cross onshore conditions, backside riding and smaller slower waves better. The EVO is in my opinion a better all round wave boards that has a sweet spot that reaches a lot longer into the good wave and high wind range.

If you value a big range and don't want to struggle in good waves the E80 is a super sweet board. You can trim it a lot to performa slo in lighter conditions by using abigger fin. Unlike just smacking on a big MFC, I receomend staying with the Drake Natural wave if your in waves. These go up all the way to 26cm. This sounds huge, but compared to all other wave fins I've used, the Naturals sail kind of small for their depth and stay smooth fast and loose also when you choose them bigger. A 25 or 26 is a perfect complement to the standard 23 and this will seriously improve upwind ability in light winds on the E80. It will still not feel as "freestyle-wave like" as the JP, but within the EVO scope if will be very efffective.

So, it all comes down to if you want an immaculate wave riding board with a huge range that adapts reasonable well to freewave type sailing (=EVO 80) or a more dedicated easy riding freewave type board (RWW).
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote