View Single Post
Old 12th February 2007, 02:13 AM   #12
Phill104

Default RE: ISonic fine tuning (For Ian and Kevin)

Today I finally got to try the iS87 and I'm very impressed.

The board is very well finished (much better than my iS115 that had some obvious scratches touched up from new). It comes with the race straps which I had to fit in the largest setting and using the widest insert holes. I'm a size nine (UK) and it's obvious that these straps are meant to be used with bare feet. Unfortunately it's bloody cold here at the moment so I had to wear my booties. I think it would be a struggle to use these straps if you have feet bigger than mine and want to wear booties.

I rigged the board with a 6.4 Tush X15. Luckily there was a guinea pig on the same kit out (Cheers Duncan) so I knew this was right. Being my first go I was a little tense and sailed like a Muppet for the first few runs. I soon got the hang of it though and was amazed by how easy this board is to sail.

The volume is well placed under the feet giving a really comfortable shape to the board. Getting the board planing was no effort at all and it accelerates so quickly. Once going the board is so well mannered and just goes where you want it making steering through the little bit of chop there was very easy.

The supplied 32cm fin is very powerful and was too much for the 6.4. It's probably more suited to a 7.0. I should have come in and swapped fins but I was having too much fun.

I didn't really push the board to it's limit partly due to the fin but mainly due to the angle of the wind. I still managed 30.1kts and there was loads more to go. Had the wind been stronger and from a better direction I'm sure it would go much faster.

One of the most impressive aspects of this board was it's ability to gybe. I was a little worried about turning it but I am pleased to say it was easy. I actually managed to come out of a gybe planing, a rarity for me. I even found it quite easy to tack considering the lack of volume in front of the mast.

Carlos,

You are going to love this board

I've attached a pic of someone else sailing today just to show the conditions in Portland Harbour. He was on a Kombat 96

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote