View Single Post
Old 19th February 2007, 05:58 AM   #3
mark h

Default RE: Highwind / Lightwind definitions

I guess that every one has there own idea of what actually defines "high winds" or "light winds". Maybe in simple terms, force six and above is the start of high winds and force 5 or less is light winds. Personal categorization could be down to what the individual classes as there high wind/light wind gear. A heavy WS might class a 5.5m/90litre board as high wind equipment, a light weight WS may have a 4.5m/75litre board as there high wind kit, so once both heavy & light WS can get it going, they would maybe class this as high wind sailing. By the same token, Guys/girls that use proper formula gear would not class 7.5m as a light wind sail, but I know plenty of WS who's largest sail is a 7.5m and they would class it as a light wind sail. For me, Starboards use of high & light winds is a way to describe the boards ability to handle the rougher conditions as the wind picks up. Would be interesting to here what others think.

Cheers

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote