View Single Post
Old 23rd February 2007, 09:06 PM   #19
CarlosD

Send a message via MSN to CarlosD
Default RE: ISonic fine tuning (For Ian and Kevin)

Hi all,

Finally my new boards arrived and I managed to sail both in the last three days.

Day one

Offshore wind (very gusty and little to medium chopp) 12-25 knots.
First was the IS 111, I rigged my Code red 7.7 and the 36 cm fin The board was not only extremely fast but easy to control under these conditions (including the heavier gusts and bigger chopp when I became overpowered).

After 1 hour enjoying windsurfing at really high speeds I switched to the IS 87 , Code red 6.7 and the 32 cm fin, assuming that during the lightest gusts I would need an snorkel.
Not really ... taking off with the IS87 is very easy, and the board accelerates in an awesome manner, reaching high speeds in a pair of seconds. When plannig at such speeds the boards is able to cross large wind holes without problems and the jibes are very sweet.
Phill, you are right ,I love this board
When at full throttle the speed was terrific (seems to be a speed needle)
The 32 fin seems to be a little small for the 6.7 when pointing close to the wind, I will try a 34 on the next session.

I was very happy with the two boards (like a dog with two tails), unfortunately I dont have a GPS to measure speeds.

Day two

12/15 knots heavy chopp (0.70/0.80 cm)

Isonic 111, code red 7.7, 36 cm fin

The runs were almost upwind beacuse of the strong cross tidal current.
The 111 was flying again, this time over the big chopp. I measured 27.6 knots (vmax) with my new GPS (I could not wait more to have it)
Not bad for big chopp and square run.
The 36 cm fin is perfect for the 7.7

Day three

After 1 Hr session aboard a Gemini tandem (a hi-speed surreal experience, I will post later at the free forum) I rigged the IS 87 with the CodeRed 6.7 and the 34 cm fin.
The wind was stronger (20/22 knots), but when I finished rigging was only 15/18 and again the runs were upwind because of the cross current :@
Equipped with the 34 fin the IS87 points much better for my weight (89 KG) and despite the wind was too light for the quiver I measured 30.6 knots of Vmax . Another day of joy!!!!

I hope the next days I will be able to sail with better conditions, I will keep you posted

Best regards

Carlos

The motors:
Slalom: Code red 8.8 NP RSR 7.8/6.7 evo/6.2 evo NP RS6 5.4
Wave: NP zone 4.4 North Ice 4.7/5.3

The rider: Age 48 (yeah, I know, so old, but still on form)
Height 1,84 m
Weight 87 kg
CarlosD is offline   Reply With Quote