View Single Post
Old 24th February 2007, 06:05 PM   #18
Klint

Default RE: Some Streamlined related....

I did the mast foot check on my Streamlined and was quite surprised when noticing a clearly visible crack running all the way down the lower tendon retaining pin. The pin was also bent into a slight banana shape. Will have this replaced, just a matter of time before the pin would snap completely. No fun, especially if you go for longer cruises as I normally do. Suppose there’s an aftermarket for theses spare parts. Another weak part on the Streamlined is the screws that holds the pin which are out of rather soft steel and easy to ruin when undoing.

I also realized in case of a Streamlined mastfoot failure, the rigg would dance around on my Starboard wooden deck and eventually ruin it. This due to the single safety marlow line which is quite long. Think a better solution would be the one Chinook applies, with two safteylines which limits movement in case of a breakage.

If I’m now ordering a Chinook mastfoot with US cup, will this be a good match with my Streamlined extensions? SteveC implied that the Streamlined pin system will not work with Chinook. Hope this doesn't go for the US system. And finally, would it be possible to retrofit a Chinook mastbase with a Streamlined joint?

All the best,

// Andy
Klint is offline   Reply With Quote