View Single Post
Old 13th March 2007, 09:53 AM   #7
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Valve Screws - Suggestion for a better design

Hi Gary,
You can continue with "plug paranoia" for as long as you like.
If your boards are white or a light color on the outside, you can store them on the roof of your car in a reflective bag with little or no worries.
Storing boards INSIDE a hot car on a summers day is where the real problems lie.
Or if you have a board with lots of exposed black carbon fiber on the outside (not covered by paint) or a board painted in a really dark color, it will absorb several times more heat and it would be a good idea to open the vent slightly to eliminate any chance of internal pressure buildup.
But first, Starboard and all the other board manufacturers need to look at the specifications for "o rings, o ring grooves, and proper
O'ring gland joint design.
The current "squash the o'ring" thinking has nothing at all to do with how an O'ring is designed to seal.
I've been over this many times,and if you research my past posts on this subject you will find links to the full realm of O'ring gland design
engineering data.
The way the the windsurfing industry uses o'rings suggests that the designers do not know or care about the difference between a correctly designed O'ring gland joint and a simple gasketed joint.
The current vent plug designs simply "scream" for a fiber or high durometer rubber GASKET, not an O'ring.
Actually, if the vent plugs incorporated a properely designed O'ring groove under the head of the plug, the O'rings would last virtually forever, and I'd be alot more worried about internal pressure build up as the vent plugs would actually seal, rather than acting as cheap substitute for a "safety valve" The pressure builds up a little and the "squashed" o'ring begins to vent.
Then you put your board in much cooler water, and the squashed O'ring allows water to seep in when the internal vacuum drops low enough.
The Gore Tex vents work pretty weill, in FRESH WATER, but like everything made of/with Goretex. the plug needs to be rinsed in fresh water to prevent salt build up which fills the micro-pores in the goretex membrane until the Goretex fails to work the way it was designed.
Hope this helps,
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote