View Single Post
Old 14th March 2007, 02:44 AM   #8
LK

Default RE: Aero with cammed sails, any experience?

Hi
There is absolutely no reason for why most 2 cam freeride sails should not work fine on an AE 127 in freeride mode.
It is common knowledge that the AE better likes a grunty sail instead of a dead flat wave sail.
It’s a 75 cm wide 127 L board, “banana” rocker is mostly forward, and the tail is straighter rocker.
So it is very clear, that if you want to ride it in fast freeride mode, you have to sail it on the tail/fin, and not surf it on the “banana” part. Its def not necessary to be max powered up.
It’s no secret that the board excels in the wave/freeride conditions and not in the freerace conditions. BUT if you are the lucky owner :-) of an AE 127, and you want to improve the freeride/flatwater ability, you tune it with sail AND fin for that purpose.
If you own a fast freeride board and you want to take it out in more wavy conditions, you don’t use a race sail and big race fin, you probably take a no cam freeride or freestyle or wave sail and a swept freeride-/wave fin. So if people don’t own a board for several different conditions, they choose a board that fits their most common conditions and try to optimise the gear for the less optimal conditions by adapting sail, fin and style for it.
It is also common knowledge that it is possible to reach pretty high speeds on wave (banana) boards, and crossovers (a Kombat can be pretty fast when you go for it).
When changing sail type (cam, no cam, freeride, freestyle/wave) on a board you have to adapt the mast foot pos., boom height, harness line pos., style and a lot more to compensate for the diff. sail characteristics like CE high/low, forward, twist, mast bend, flex and more. That’s what makes WS so exciting.
In the case of the AE I think the problem when extending its natural “habitat” , is not whether it’s a 2 cam freeride or not, but the fin and stance(riding style). The stock freeride fin for the AE 127 can’t take much pressure before spinning out. You have to drive it with the front foot and gain a lot of speed before putting more pressure on the back foot. I clocked a lot of 25 to 29 knot speeds when reaching (not going for speed) with the freeride fin, but be careful with the back foot.
I tested the board with 5,8 and 6,2 RX2(pure Race sail) and 6,4 Severne S2 free move, same day, medium powered. 6,2 RX2 was best in the gusty offshore conditions. Planed to test the board with 42/44/46 spitfire slalom fins same day, but they did not fit the box properly.
Some weeks after I sailed the board with the 44 slalom fin and a 7,0 S2, felt not good, the fin was too powerful for the sail. Never got tested the slalom fins with my 6,2 ; 7,6 ; 8,5 slalom sails, maybe this season.
So go out and don’t let some funny theories spoil the fun. Try it out and in this case it’s not dangerous.
Per I would test it with a cammed freeride sail. But I still think that the fin combo is the “freeride restriction”, even with nocam sails.
Personally, I prefer cammed sails for >7,5 m2 sails for freeride.

Cheers
LK
LK is offline   Reply With Quote