View Single Post
Old 16th March 2007, 08:15 AM   #97
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Anybody try the Apollo Yet?

Hi Matthew,
As soon as I get some new masts and mast pieces tomorrow, I hope to get on the water and try these new ideas out.
As you may (or may not) know, I don't tell people about new ideas like this until I actually try them out.
As soon as I determine how much more I can get from some of my new '07 Sailworks rigs, I'll let you know.
I already have started using this same concept on the Hucker sails, but I need to check it out with a new 9.5 Retro and perhaps the '06 Retro 10.0 m2 mentioned above.
I'm also going to test this idea in some of my larger NX slm race sails.
I guess this is one of those "never say never" situations.
For years I've been "preaching" for sailors to get the suggested "best" mast to get the most from their sails, but it looks like there may be some options here.
Having said this, it occurs to me that one needs to be a bit careful about mixing mast parts and having a really good idea of what you want to achieve by using other than the recommended best mast.
The basic concept here is to give the sail more panel and perimeter tension by selecting mast pieces (tops and bottoms) with different stiffness and bend characteristics to move more and less tension into areas where you want more draft and shape.
Hope this helps,
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote