View Single Post
Old 16th March 2007, 10:23 PM   #3
Dream Team - School Guru
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,177
Default RE: q for ian diffrence downforce code red and warp 2007

Hi Ian,
Can you define "downforce" here?
How is it measured?
Who measures it, or is it a "feel" sort of thing?
I know that horizontal wings (on aircraft and racing cars/boats) can be used to create "down force (race cars and boats) and "upforce" (aircraft), but I'm puzzled as to how a vertical foil can produce "downforce"?
If we rake our rigs too far upwind, then I can see an "upforce" component (the same with laying the fin over a bit by lowering the lee rail) but "downforce" escapes me.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote