View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2007, 09:12 PM   #3
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme
Default RE: Wait a sececond, does weight matter?

On the topic of speed...

As a lightweight myself, the most I've weighed is 65 kilos. I can attest that people who are heavier hold a distinct advantage over me when the winds pick up. I've watched friends who weigh more than me take out my own gear (when I'm overpowered) and hold the sail down just fine ... and go much faster than I was.

Off topic...

When it comes to time on the water, I am happy to be a lightweight.

Two things come to mind...

(1) I can get out there and plane in less wind
(2) I can sail in shallower waters

I never really thought of #2 until this past week. I was staying at Hatteras for a week of sailing. My (185 pound cousin) was with me. When the winds shifted to a direction that left us with very shallow water, I was still able to sail. Meanwhile, my cousin managed to crack the noses of two boards and bent a boom sailing in the same waters. I would fly over the sandbars with my 26cm or 22cm fins. He was stuck with a 32cm fin, which was too deep for the area. The conditions weren't strong enough for him to try a smaller fin.

I realized that sailing in water that is only 1 foot (30cm) deep water is a total rush. There is no chop to deal with, and maneuvers are a breeze in the flat waters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote