View Single Post
Old 9th May 2007, 03:23 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Default RE: Wave board for me

Hi Ricardo.

Yes, I do think you're sailing to big boards. In fact, you're the same weight as me and my all purpose board is the EVO 70. I have fun on the 80/83 too, but for me these are kind of light wind alternatives and when the wave riding gets faster I kind of quickly start to feel the 80/83 a bit limiting. I even opted to have the 80 as my light wind board and sold the 91 since at my weight, only in very special conditions (very slow waves and light wind) I get more out of riding the 91 than the 80. When I encounter good waves, on Maui for example, I mostly sail the EVO 70 even if the conditions are 5.3 or light 5.0. So, from my perspective, the EVO 70 and 80 is a perfect pair. If you want to stay with a big bigger boards, the 75 and 92 will work too and since you don't seem to encounter that much wind, this may seem logical. But personally I like the 70 much better for powered up 5.0 sailing.

If you choose Acids, I think the PA74 would be spot on. Its a very nice and easy riding board. A 5.7 on the PA 74 is pushing it a bit, but at our weight it can work with a slightly bigger fin. Also if you get the PA74 as your small board I would think about keeping the 83 as your big one instead of the 92. If you don't feel the 92 is an absolute must in your quiver, the 83 and PA74 will give you a healthy overlap which make it easier to be on an ideal board in the often kind of critical mid wind range.

Choosing between Acid and EVo is very hard. I like em both but for my style the EVO is better. The PA will give you a more direct carving feel and it prefers a bit more drawn out lines. The EVOs prefer a bit more vertical style and makes recovering in white water easier. The EVOs are looser and makes it easier to react to what the wave does in the middle of the turn. Both the E75 and 70 will offer much better carving of the top at speed than the 83 (which is actually the "stiffest" EVO model).

Hoper this helps. Cheers,

Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote