View Single Post
Old 9th May 2007, 07:11 AM   #5
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme
Default RE: Earliest planing with 8.5 m2

I agree with Per for the 8.x sail sizes. If you are willing to go with a bigger size sail, you can get out in less wind. I am 65 kg as well.

I take my 8.0 Retro out on my F-Type and have a blast. I have found a 66cm fin works well with this sail for my style of sailing. My next smaller board is a 73cm wide AHD race board. It does very well in the same conditions, but doesn't plane up quite as early as my F-Type 148. The extra 23cm in width does make a difference, but it is a small one. I find it makes more of a difference in staying on a plane. I can float through much bigger lulls on the F-Type 148 compared to my AHD GTS73. Also, I can point higher with the F-Type. With the wider boards, you lose the ability to get a good carve jibe though.

So, I guess I'm agreeing with Per except to say there are other factors worth considering while sailing ... upwind and the ability to plane through lulls.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote