Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 5th August 2013, 03:05 AM   #1
GEM

Default Choosing sails for an iSonic 107

Hi
I sold my Futura 133 (original model) and (hopefully) another board, to get a 2012 carbon iSonic 107. It was the last remaining I could find in N.A. Holy cow what a board!

So I've only gotten to sail it 3 times so far, and I find that it generates so much speed that it fairly easily goes beyond the top end of the sail (I've used an 8.5 and 7.5 Hot Sails Speed Freak...sails that have a very VERY forgiving top end). I also find that, more-or-less, as soon as you think "Oh, I've got some power", the iSonic is on a solid plane. There's no 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gears, it's just 1st to 3rd to 5th (went through 4 while getting into the straps!). And then you really sheet-in and go to light speed.

I had a Berky once that was something like this, no volume in the nose, and it generated speed sufficient to fully power-up a too-small fin and too-small sail. But this iSonic 107 is mind-numbing with the wind range it generates. So my question is hoping to shorten the learning curve...

1) Do you recommend rigging really really flat and pumping to a plane, or
2) Does the iSonic need full-on race sails only, or
3) Something else???

I'm sure I'll get her dialed-in, but a little help with shortening the learning curve would be great.

Again, the 107 is an amazing board, and my hat's off to the design team.

Thanks!
GEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 07:31 AM   #2
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi GEM,

Of course the best will be full race sail to get the best from this board but you can go for Free Race sails to save cost and you will be already very close to the same result, for example the Overdrive range with a 75% carbon mast.
http://www.severnesails.com/race-sai...-overdriver4-0
7.8 will be perfect for this board. And just follow the rigging recommendation to get the best of it.
Have fun
All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 12:26 PM   #3
GEM

Question

Well, sure, and the Speed Freak is a freerace design and the 7.5 is close enough to 7.8 that I'm good with it. I like the 8.5 Speed Freak on the 107 because the sail is substantially lighter than a race design and I feel like that helps with early planing.

I guess my question is less of an iSonic question and more of a speed sailing one...

Last time I had a slalom race board was ~15 years ago, and I felt like it would take my NP Z1 sails to their upper limit but not beyond. The 107 seems quite ready to take an underpowered 7.5 through it's range and into an extremely overpowered mode, because of board speed generating so much apparent wind.

Options then would be:
• the 8.5 is the right sail for what I would previously have thought of as 9.5-10.0 conditions
• the 7.5 is right for the "old" 8.5
• really really does need a full-on speed sail for maximum top end control, and the board is so quick that you will go there whether you want to or not!

Thus, I guess the proper question is if people feel the current iSonics are lowering their minimums for a given sail (i.e., it's best to pick a sail that needs good pumping technique to get planing), or if the minimums are similar but top-end is so quick that it requires very flat set of the same size sail as before (my 7.0 Z1 was kind-of like that)? Or both?

Again, hat's off to the design team as the 107 is a phenomenal board, in speed, handling and ease of upwind/downwind (OK the downwind ride is quite exciting in chop, as the low mast base gets the nose a bit lower than is comfy - haven't pearled-in yet, but I can see it takes concentration not to do that!!).

GEM
GEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 01:39 AM   #4
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi GEM,

FreeRace sails are generally less stiff than full Race Sails and it's more easy to get planing with them. So if you want a sail who need less physical demand to get planing, the FreeRace will be the choice.
The Race Sails need a bit more energy to get planing but also have better control and top end speed.
Today we can say that FreeRace sails are also much better than Race sail like your old Z1 and affordable.
Hope this help for your choice
All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote