Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 22nd September 2008, 04:44 AM   #1
Philip

Default SB Artist - for SteveC

Steve, if my memory is correct you reside in Sanata Barbara?

Just viewed a documentary made in 2004 by SB director Russ Spencer titled Being There the Art of Dan Horgan the environmentalist landscape artist. Featured was the stone cairn he constructed in the SB County Admin and his creations in the natural landscape. Impressive is the way he unifies with the materials and lets the environment shape the art work and then how he is willing to give the work to nature. Have you had the privilege of seeing any of his works?

Horgan's philosophy certainly rang true for myself. Not so different to the all too fleeting moment in the creative side of a WS session as sailor becomes at one with nature. For this windsurfer this would be the holy-grail of the recreation.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 08:49 AM   #2
steveC

Hi Philip,

Yes, I do live in Santa Barbara, but I'm not familiar with Horgan's work. However, if you have more specific information about the location of the work, I would be interested in taking a look. I do have a fine art degree from college, so I think that I have a reasonable bearing to offer a personal opinion. Please let me know more about the location of the work referenced, and I'd be happy to offer some thoughts.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 10:03 AM   #3
Philip

Hi Steve,

Until I had seen the doco I had no idea about Dan Horgan. Limited Google info. By all accounts keeps a low profile and has been working quietly for 30 or so years. For myself the art works hit the spot. His first 'exhibition' seems to have been the event at the SB County Admin Building. Other art works are in the country side of which one I gather near SB, but no exact locations given in the doco (may be in the credits but too fast now a days for my eyes). In any event I though his outlook on life particularly interesting for anyone who is into working with nature in a low impact way (e.g. our favourite sport).
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote