Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14th May 2007, 11:39 PM   #1

Default How to get on plane on Ftype and what is the correct stance - need help.

Hi all,

So I got an Ftype 148 (my first board after 1 summer of renting) - thanks for all the advices here (although many pepole recommened a longboard). Anyway, my Ftype surely drives a lot of attention as it's pretty wide. ;-)
I also got a 7.5 Gaastra Matrix (C55 mast). I am 90kgs.
I'm doing ok in non-planning conditions, meaning that I don't get into the water and can go back and forth all day long.

I was able to get in on plane once, maybe twice and it was when the wind was pretty strong (around 4-5B ) and I did it by getting really, really low (basically by crouching) and trying not to bend my forward foot. However I felt like I need to put a lot of power into holding the rig (I'm not using the harness yet), so I guess I'm doing something wrong.

I'd really appreciate hints on the correct stance on this particular board. When not planning I just keep my forward foot about just behind the mast and recently I try to keep it more on the side, too. But getting way to the end (near the straps) seems just impossible.
When wind is stronger I don't seem to move back my front foot a lot, instead, I move back and bend my back leg a lot (thus this crouching stance I mentioned) - is it correct?
Also, my stern is slogging through the water all the time (so I don't see how could I move back on the board even more), I know I should put more weight on a boom - do I just hung on it like a monkey with my arms straight - that would mean sticking my butt back or getting really low on my knees.

Another thing - in marginal conditions, what should be the apropriate stance to start pumping (and how to do it most efficently)? Does it make sense with my weight and with this sail in 3B winds? (if I will be planing for a few seconds only it's fine - I just want to practise).
I also don't want to buy a bigger sail right now. My buddies who ride smaller boards say I should get a smaller sail for the 5-6B days (when I barely can handle my 7.5 - any hints appreciated), but Formula guys on my local spot say 7.5 is minimum for this type of board whatever the conditions are.

Thanks,

-marek
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote