Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 30th May 2007, 05:52 AM   #1
Beaowolf

Default Freeride board for 86 kg 6'

So I have been out on some ~220 L rental boards in light wind and am looking to buy a Freeride board. Can water start, jib, tack, have excelent balance, and learn very quickly. Looking to get out and fly around, jump boat wakes to some degree and have fun. Question is, will a 160 L board be big enough for me in 15 to 20 knot winds, and will I be able to do small jumps over boat wakes with it? Based on my weight I read that I would need a 190 L board, but have not seen a Freeride board in that size.
Thanks
Beaowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2007, 02:17 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Default RE: Freeride board for 86 kg 6'

190 will be way to big and 160 seems kind of big too. 15 knots is not much wind though, so you should not go too small. But from the sound of it you have the technique wired for going for a slightly more "advanced" board, maybe something like an S-typ 126? In the beginning you may find if a bit technical and especially getting planing early can be more difficult, but since you're lerning quickly I think its better to go for a board that will a bit challenging.

My own light wind for fun setup is Flare 99 and a Hot Sails Maui superfreak 7.0 (the most remarkable sail I've used - light as a 5.5 wave sail). With this I plane really early and have the feel of being on small gear and still only a knot or two slower then I am on my iSonic101 and more speed oriented freeride sail in light wind. I'm 68kg though, so you need to go bigger.

Maybe Roger can chime in too. He has more experience with this types of board recomendations.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2007, 09:36 AM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Freeride board for 86 kg 6'

Hi Beaowolf,
I have to agree with Ola H. here.
Sounds like you are looking for a board that's way to big for what you want
to learn next.
In 15-20 knots you could be on 5.5-7.5 m2 rigs and to do any "jumping" (chop hopping, boat wakes, etc.) you would probably want a board in the
110-120 liter range.

Your weight and the wind conditions will be big factors in volume, type of board and rig size selection.
If the only boards you&#39;ve sailed are 220 liter longboards, or Starts, with smaller sails (< 6.5 m2) then you really do not have much appreciation for what you can do with a smaller board that has alot less volume.
I&#39;m puzzled as to how you learned "waterstarts" (where you line the board and rig up and the rig lifts you from the water with the power in the sail) on a 220 liter entry level board. That would seem extremely difficult in not perhaps impossible.
I also agree with Ola that , at first, you are going to find a much smaller board alot more difficult, but if you get about the right size, so you can still uphaul in light winds, you may progress pretty rapidly.
It will depend on having rigs that work with the board in the conditions you actually have.
Is there any possibility that you can demo some smaller boards to find out what&#39;s going to work for you BEFORE you go and buy one?
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote