Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 21st June 2007, 11:47 AM   #11
rod_r

Default RE: Why I'm into longboards

Too bad he never got planing. Oh well, he's still young. I suppose with a few more lessons he may get the hang of it :-)

Seriously though, if someone told me I could do that on my 2002 Start I never would have sold it......amazing indeed.
rod_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 02:41 PM   #12
Screamer

Randy
Agree with everything you said, especially interested in Serenity, which would easily account for 250+ days a year, if I had time.
Btw, freelance work helps with TOW
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 06:52 PM   #13
scotty

Yeah longboards are really cool!!

I kite and windsurf, but when summer comes and I want to sail anywhere without a struggle then I pull out the old longboards and have a blast. I'm looking forward to this new 380 Phantom, about time the brands got back into this class, I was so sad when I never got a Pan Am. Now they are getting back into this class and going all out it seems with big boards and big fins!!

The new SB looks great, I guess it might be a bit different by the time production rolls around. It does look a bit less classic than the old Equipes which in IMO were the best looking longboard built. If the SB had the wide point just a tad further forward and a slightly pointier nose and tail, she'd look sweet!! B) Of course she's built to be fast, looks come secondary, but I'm sure in real life she'll look fine!!

Anyway lets see some pictures!!!
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 07:39 PM   #14
crazychemical

totally agree with Scotty! The Phantom 380 is what a real race longboard should look like and i'm sure it won't dissapoint its riders! BUT I WANT PICTURES! :d video would be cool too... Hehe, now we only have to wait for longboardracing to become more popular with flatwater sailors everywhere. Though, the kona range has become veryy promoted in france with eg the numerous kona-cups there, i'd like to see it happen in holland or belgium aswell, cuz i don't mind going to france for some action, i don't like the petrol bills at the end of the day!
Old 21st June 2007, 07:53 PM   #15
scotty

WE WANT PICTURES!!!!! :@

WE WANT VIDEO!!!!! :@

Old 21st June 2007, 08:07 PM   #16
LK

Hi thats why I am into shortboards :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stun4xr-ZCc

You cant do this as good on a longboard.

Its not about shortboard or longboard, its about having fun basad on the resources you have, or are willing to invest.

A one board solution is always a compromise, 2 is better, 3 good 4. ? 5 ?

I admit, a longboard and a SUP would fit perfectly in my
K 96, Skate 100, AE 127, FE 160, Go 180 quiver, but I would not dump my quiver for one (long)board.

Have fun
LK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 09:17 PM   #17
scotty

Yeah but you need the following:

3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0 5.5 wave sails.... x2

5.4, 6.2, 7.2, 8.4, 10 slalom sails

4 wave boards

4 slalom and lightwind boards

then a nice longboard for the summer!! B)

.... oops I probably have a bit much!!
Old 21st June 2007, 10:09 PM   #18
crazychemical

Quote:
I admit, a longboard and a SUP would fit perfectly in my
K 96, Skate 100, AE 127, FE 160, Go 180 quiver, but I would not dump my quiver for one (long)board.
It's not like were trying to convince everyone that we should all start surfing longboards Just that for a lot of riders it's impossible to surf in good conditions all the time. I mean, i have a good quiver for my surfspot: Go139 for the medium winds i encounter most, a flow284 for the high winds and small sails, and a fanatac race 340 longboard for the lightwind days. Perfect quiver, but i mean, if you encounter a lot of lightwinds in summer, why invest in like huuuuuuge sails and extremely expensive formula boards when you can use you smaller sails on a longer, slimmer board and still get good speed though you don't really get the planning feel.
And now even, with the phantom race 380 i think longboard surfing is gonne get a new aspect: a propper planning longboard with the big formula sails: more speed in lower winds. Though it'll be tricky in the turns...
Exocet began in 2006 with the first kona, today starboard and tabou. Soon Mistral won't be the only one with the one design monopoly! i guarantee that longboard won't just be a topic we speculate about on the forum but one we actively discuss like the formula boards.
Old 22nd June 2007, 04:43 AM   #19

What about the SB Hybrid Race ? It's as the name suggests a hybrid, not really long, not super short either.

Has anyone tried this board ?

Maybe even compared it to the old school long boards ?
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 06:51 AM   #20

LK, that video is fantastic, but there's almost nothing he's doing that you couldn't do with a longboard. In the OD longboard class I sail, we don't do the same sort of rig flips (because we're using the same rig we race with) but instead you can do pirouettes on the rail, somersaults around the boom from the rail, tacks and gybes on the rail, 360 everoles (sailing a full circle standing on the bottom of the upturned board), head dips on the rail, etc.

Sailing just one board is a compromise if you're looking for "ultimate performance"; but then again, all our boards are compromises of one sort of another.

It depends what you want to do - if what you enjoy is sailing just one board and learning how to use it in all conditions, then sailing 10 boards is a compromise. I'm really enjoying my OD longboard in all winds these days - the wave board, speed board, slalom board, bump 'n jump board and other gear just sits around the house.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote