Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 23rd July 2007, 11:34 PM   #1
HappyHappyJoyJoy

Default stance to ride the fin

Hi all guys, hi Roger,

I've looked through a lot of threads on this subject. You advise to pull up / lift up with the front foot during planing upwind. Could you please describe how it is done exactly? Is the front foot rotated forward in the foot strap? Where is the front knee looking? Where are hips and shoulders looking? OK, and is the BACK foot rotated in the footstrap? And is the back knee rotated forward?

Background: Before the recent windsurfing vacations, I tried, with some success, to raise the windward rail with both feet to go upwind, but only in flat water. In chop and in high wind the board had a tendency of getting blown away from under my feet if a gust got between the board and the water during an involuntary chop-hop. The instructor I hired at the vacation told me to rotate everything in my body (feet, knees, hips and shoulders) forward. During this my front arm would be stretched and the back arm would be bent sheeting in. It helped me in the chop a great deal. But I feel that in this stance I cannot use the fin to go upwind.

Could you please help me out with the correct chop-tolerant-fin-riding stance?
HappyHappyJoyJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 10:04 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: stance to ride the fin

Hi Happy,
Check the older thread on this.
I'll try to paste it in here tomorrow.
R
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote