Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20th August 2007, 05:41 PM   #1
crazychemical

Default 3 problems with new board

Hi Roger (and others),

i've finally had the good fortune of finding great winds for my new 113 L board and my 6.2. In Sicily i managed to blast for two days with that set but i ran into a few problems:
1) Jibing is not my most fluent move and i found myself in the water quite a few times when i tried to turn the board around (i did manage to do the laydown part of a laydownjibe and felt so proud :d) Now, the biggest problem i faced when waterstarting (i have to waterstart on a board of such volume because of my weight (90Kg)) i tended to drift with the current and with the wind as i caught it with my sail. Also my board automatically turned itself with it's tail towards me making my job not at all easier. Even though i never get into any trouble with it, it's rather annoying.
2) i, as many others, have problems going upwind with this board. I never had any such difficulties with the Go139 or at least i could compensate any drifting by just going upwind without planning. I can't on this board because i weigh to much and upwind without planning is a big nono if i want to keep this board floating. I can get the board planning but it starts going downwind with a smashing speed and by the time i get into my footstraps i'm blasting downwind and i can't alter the course enough to compensate for the lost terrain. I thus get pushed away from beginpoint A by X meters depending on the wind and on how much i managed to correct and when then going back to shore i lose another few meters and i end up at least 100 meters from point A whereas the other surfers just seem to go up and down without to much hasle.
3) That just about covers the problems i have during windsurfing. Now to another more specific issue: my dad, during our stay in Sicily wrecked two fins, one of which is was mine so he owes me one (haha!). Now for the Flow284 (113L board) which i used to gather the stories of the two problems above i was thinking of buying an extra fin. The current one is a G10 crossover fin, 31 cm long. I found that in the chop that fin was absolutely the right choice because i later discovered that fins that are to straight get too much pushed aside by the current (the Go139 with its 48 cm fin does not work well in chop at all, even with an overpowering sail i could barely get it planning whereas my dad with that same sail and a crossover fin on his big board kicked ass). However, my local spot is on a lake where there is like no current so i was thinking of a slalom/ride fin of 36 cm, would that be too much for rigs of 6.2 > ? or could i make it work you think?

thanks for input
crazychemical is offline   Reply With Quote