Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 24th August 2007, 10:37 PM   #11
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Loots View Post
...the end of the rail is 129cm, middle is 136cm, front is 142cm.
Have just measured my iSonic 105 Wood edition, my measurements are a bit different, from the rear end of the mast track to a line perpendicular to the end of the board I've measured 125.5 cm, the length of the mast track is 16,75 (almost 17 cm), which would give a distance to the middle of the mast track to 134 cm - when measured from the rear.

Erik, are you sure of your numbers ? Measured the same way ?
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 01:50 PM   #12
geo

Maybe this is going a bit too far... I don't think that when one says "middle of the box" this really implies "by the cm.".

Ola: I think that using just one foot position somewhat compensates for ususally different chop conditions when changing sails. Also, I think that a pro uses a smaller sail range for each board. As an instance, I move my track back a few cms. when changing between 7.0 and 6.3 on my S95, while KP would be changing between iS101 and iS87.
Of course leaving foot position unchanged when putting on a smaller sail implies raking more to have sail COP aligned with fin COP; this may be practical, but not over a certain point.

Erik: "power" setup implies stronger accelleration out of the turns, and obviously this is best for competition slalom. Evidently it proves good for speed also. But there is one more thing to consider, and that is time. A pro's aim is to be the first during a few minutes heat; while a non competing sailor's could be to have fun for some hours.
I am very glad because I can sail for hours at full throttle without stop and have no problem at all with my legs. But I have with my hands.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 11:14 PM   #13
Ola_H
TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Ola: I think that using just one foot position somewhat compensates for ususally different chop conditions when changing sails. Also, I think that a pro uses a smaller sail range for each board. As an instance, I move my track back a few cms. when changing between 7.0 and 6.3 on my S95, while KP would be changing between iS101 and iS87.
Of course leaving foot position unchanged when putting on a smaller sail implies raking more to have sail COP aligned with fin COP; this may be practical, but not over a certain point.

Probably true, but with the slalom 42 format even the pros end up with "unusual" sail sizes for a given board.

But I thought about it some more, and I think a possible answer might be the rake thing. I haven't checked out slalom sail designs that close, but isn't it possible that smaller sails are simply designed to be raked back further than bigger ones? Even the possible mast foot adjustment would not correspond to the total draft change from big to small sails, so some rake difference is bound to happen.

Someone with a lot of slalom sails could maybe confirm.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 05:05 AM   #14
Erik Loots

Send a message via MSN to Erik Loots

@hank

Maybe I'm wrong, I measured it almost 1 year ago. 136cm in middle makes good sense and works for 90% of the users. 128-129 was most back position, not the insert?? Otherwise it is maybe a difference between wood and d-ram, I own an dram, yes I am just a poor student

@ola

Between different *boards I use same mastfoot position from tail. And my Gaastra Vapor '07 sails are not more raked back when they get smaller (can not see any differerance), however the last years the rake of the slalom/racesails is getting smaller and smaller... this has to do with superb control and that is why mastfoot postion is placed more in the back and the sail will have smaller rake.

I dont know if the sails can be even more controllable but if they do, than the masttrack should be placed more to the back to get the ultimate topspeed performance.
Erik Loots is offline   Reply With Quote