Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 27th August 2007, 05:04 PM   #1
marek

Default 7.5 sail replacement recommendation

Hi all,

I'm on an F-type 148 and 10.0 NS Daytona or 7.5 Gaastra Matrix. My weight is 90kg/200lbs.

I'm thinking about replacing my Gaastra Matrix this winter. 7.5 looks like a good size for the conditions here, I can deal with it when people are on 5.5-6, so I guess I'd get the same size and in the future a 5.5-6.

But for the 7.5, what would you recommend? I really like the locked-in feel of my Daytona (freerace, cambered), very smooth and balanced. Matrix is way more "lively" and on its own, so to speak. Also, for the 7.5 I need a high top-end range, so I can tune it down and survive these 5-7B days and some folks say a no-cam is better for this kind of things.
I'm not interested in tricks and obviously won't do wave on this gear, but I have to deal with some serious chop and gusts.

What is your recommendation?

Thanks,

-marek

P.S. I'm also thinking about replacing my 55 mast with a 75 if I get a good deal. I remember 30->55 was a huge difference, does it going to feel the same way with 75? The weight difference between 55% and 75% is very small though.
marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 06:27 PM   #2
marek

Update: I am now between Gaastra GTX 7.5 (3 cams freerace), Gaastra Swift 7.5 (2 cams freeride) or NS Daytona 7.8.
Seems like GTX would be winner if I was buying the sail now.

I'm also trying to match my mast (490 cc, 29IMCS, works ok both with my Matrix and Daytona now).

Any thoughts?

-marek
Old 30th August 2007, 06:28 PM   #3
marek

And my thread on Gaastra forum with some good posts:

http://www.gaastra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=307
Old 30th August 2007, 09:20 PM   #4
7.5 sailor

Wink no-cam 7.5

I've sailed my Sailworks Retro 7.5 in conditions from 15 to 25 mph winds, I can flatten it out before switching to my 6.0, the next size in my quiver.

So if you are sailing for fun, you might want to look into this sort of camless sail, the Sailwork Retro has a good low end and works well over that wind range. I generally use it with my S-Type 137 liter.

I sailed cambered sails in 7.5 size for many years, using Gaastra, North, Neil Pryde before switching to the Retro. I like it so well that I'll get another one next spring after four years of use.
Old 19th September 2007, 09:42 AM   #5
Unregistered

Thumbs up KA Koncept 7.5

I would highly recommend the KA Koncept 7.5 for wide wind range and tuneability and outstanding top end speed. I love mine!
Old 19th September 2007, 08:19 PM   #6
marek

Thanks, but I already got Gaastra GTX 7.5 (3 cams).
What a sail I must say!

I totally love it and it gives me the locked-in feel I wanted.
Matrix (same size) was ok, but this one is just great.

I know many people like their Retros so much and I'd like to try one, too, but they are not popular here in Poland.
They probably offer better low-end than my NS Daytona (10.0, 3cams), what do you guys think? (not that I'm going to change it)
I guess since I'm using my 10.0 in light, marginal winds only, the low-end would be more important to me than handling in overpowered conditions and speed (which I think is what Daytona offers more).

-marek
Old 19th September 2007, 08:52 PM   #7
Bisbino

My advice is to buy a Point-7 AC-2 7.7. It's a fantastic sail, very fast, wide range, huge power and you can use a 460mast. Point-7 is a new brand but people involved in this project are top level in windsurf. About the mast 75% is much better than 55%.
Bisbino is offline   Reply With Quote