Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 25th October 2007, 11:48 PM   #1
jgf

Default width between footstrap inserts?

One thing I forgot to mention in my post about my new Futura 111, is that it seems like the inserts are too close together.

I have to wear booties most of the time, because the water is not deep, and there are sharp rocks, etc. at some of my sailing sites.

My feet are not large - about size 10.5 US shoe, (~44 european), and the width is normal for that size.

I try to get the thinnest booties I can

The straps are a very tight fit, and it's a problem to remove my back foot from the strap for a jibe, without upsetting the the board trim...,

My dealer says that it's the same width as all manufacturers, so maybe the straps are thicker?

anyway, I'm looking for some really thin straps - any suggestions?

jeff
jgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 05:58 AM   #2
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Jeff,

The inserts on Futura are the same standardised spacing as used on most boards, which of course (ultimately) have to be a researched average of all foot widths, with and without booties. Booties alone (even thin ones) can easily add 5mm each side in width to a standard foot - and that alone can throw the "ideal" spacing out by 10mm overall.

Add to that the extra "grip" that the upper section of many booties provides on the inside of the strap cover (mostly neoprene) and you definitely got a recipe for more strap exit stiction than normal..

Further, the new 2008 Slickstraps are pretty padded and soft (tends to be a more "grippy" mix than thinner harder straps, plus when they are brand new this further accentuates the difficulty of entry/exit (c/w nicely broken in after a few good sessions).

Strange enough, the K9 antitwist can actually (in select circumstances) work almost too well, and "lock" the strap twist/angle/curvature into a showroom position, which is not always the ideal entry/exit/control/comfort "twist angle".
(BTW the use of the K9 is recommended especially in the case of tight foot/bootie fit, as the extra space (height) resulting from the thickness of the K9 washer increases the stack height at each side of the strap before it starts it's radius curve over the foot.)

Fishscale deckpads also have more grip (resistance) to exit than entry (to avoid "falling out" in normal use ) - again with soft (new rubber) sole booties this can combine to semi velcro performance, less so as the pads loose their razor cut slits with some age, and further if the sole of the boot is older and harder rubber.

All small variables, but add them up and you can see the result.

As you're permanently on booties, the use of the lightweight Race Strap (or similar) will certainly "add" back more width insid ethe strap, as this is a thinner and less padded version. Normally, in freeride that is a less desireable comfort/control option (with bare feet) due to the reduced padding (less comfort) and the less precise screw hole adjustment (less control in critical situations) but (and here's the saviour !)- the use of booties actually resolves both of these issues in most cases very nicely.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 07:16 AM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Jeff,
Spread the straps out one hole and I think you will find that you have no more problems with the footstraps being tight.
And, you will get the added advantage of being able to move your heel along the rail.
This can help with early planing, staying upwind, etc. It's often surprising what changing the angle of your foot and moving your heel can do.
So, if you are using the back holes, move the front of the strap to the middle hole (of the 3 positions) and make the strap a little wider.
Then really pull the adjustment on the footstrap out to the extent so you can get your foot in and out safey (even with your booties).
I've been running all the demo boards this way for years.
Once you get used to being able to move your heel and change the angle of your foot, I doubt you will ever want to have straps that are tight on the sides again.
Just cinch the straps down they hold your foot against the board lightly.
Footstraps are not like bindings on skis.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 09:18 PM   #4
jime

Jeff, Dakine supremo straps will give you a little more effective width and Promotion booties(low top) are thin on the sides with a smooth top. This combo solved my exit problems.
jime is offline   Reply With Quote