Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 30th October 2007, 04:40 AM   #1
jeroenmarcia

Default Formula for women (very light weight)

Hello team,

My girlfriend is surfing for 2 years now. She is progressing very well. Now she wants to join the regional formula competition. We have a formula 160 and Rs6 10.7 but that's to heavy for her. Now we know the rs6 is not a 'light weight sail'. How do you think about formula surfing and 60 kg. What board/sail/fin can you recommend ?

Many thanks for your answers,

Marcia and Jeroen
jeroenmarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 04:44 AM   #2
MA_Pete

Aerotech is rumored to be making their 2008 VMG race sail in the superlight Cuben Fiber material. This material reportedly reduces sail weight by about 20% and is supposed to be very durable. Most of the weight savings is in the top and towards the leech (because the luff sleeve and cams stay the same), so it supposedly really feels like more than 20% difference.

http://www.aerotechsails.com/vmg08.html

The details of which sizes are available in the Cuben construction are not posted yet, but if you post an inquiry on the Aerotech Forum I am sure Steve from Aerotech will let you know the details. Relevant sizes for Marcia would probably be 9.0, 9.8, 11.0.

Here is a thread with some positive comments from the testing of the prototypes, and some pics:

http://www.aerotechsails.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=1526

I have the 2007 9.8 and 8.3 VMG in regular Pentex and X-Ply construction for my Starboard Formula Experience, and I like them, but I don't race, just sail recreationally.

I also just purchased their 2-cam freerace sail, their Rapid Fire, in the Cuben construction in 9.0, but haven't sailed it yet.

Good luck!
MA_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 09:06 PM   #3
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Marcia & Jeroen,

Agree about RS6 10.7 being heavy for a light weight. By comparison, a Severne Code Red 2 11.0 sail + Red Line 530 mast combo is much lighter on a scale and in the hands, feel softer and more comfy overpowered and, perhaps the most striking, has a wider wind range than the RS6 10.7 + X9 ultra 530 mast combo, the NP which felt great for the lightest puff (direct and stiff) but becomes very exhausting once overpowered for my 65 kg. Wasn't much excited by the NP but felt immediately in love and at home with the Severne.

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2007, 02:59 AM   #4
MA_Pete

Default Aerotech VMG's in Cuben Fiber...

I checked with Steve at Aerotech Sails. They will be making their VMG's in Cuben Fiber in 9.8, 11.0 and 11.9 sizes in 2008, and will do other sizes via custom orders.
Old 5th November 2007, 07:51 AM   #5
Brett Morris

Smile

60kg female racing formula... 9.8m is plenty.
Brett Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 09:41 AM   #6
MA_Pete

Agreed, that's why I said "other sizes via custom orders". 9.0 and 8.3 are also available...
Old 5th November 2007, 01:13 PM   #7
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi jeroenmarcia,

I am the coach of Morane who is only 53kgs and she wins many tittles in Formula Experience. She using the FE 160 with Overdrive 8,5 and 7,5 with the stock fin R13 70cm. The avantage of this equipment is very cheap and more durable and still fast. She finish Vice-World Champion under 20 years old in Formula Windsurfing while she was using only on a Formula Experience and she is only 14 years old. Her sister Cémentine who is a bit older 16 years old and 60kgs use the same equipment and finish at a good 4th place in FE included the boys under 17 years old.

Morane participate also in the devellopment of the F162 and love it and prefer to use R13 and R17 profil but never use over 8,5m˛.

Hope this can help

All the best

Last edited by Remi; 5th November 2007 at 01:20 PM.
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote