Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 2nd November 2007, 01:34 AM   #1
James

Default Evo- Didn't realize what I was missing?

I rode a buddy's Evo 92 the other day (I think it was a 2004 or 2005 model) and couldn't believe the difference between it and my 77 liter Pro-Tech wave-c.a.t. board. The Evo was incredibly smooth and turny despite its greater width and volume. It seemed able to do sharp turns at slow speed without falling off a plane. The conditions were 4.2 / 4.7 winds and flat, shallow water. I have some questions about other aspects of the Evo's.

1. How are they in terms of getting on a plane and getting upwind in comparison with other wave and small freeride boards?

2. Can they jump well off small and mid-sized chop?

3. Do the Kombat's also have that ultra-easy / turny feel?

Thanks.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 01:52 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Cool you liked the board. I'll try to answer the quesions:

Q1. How are they in terms of getting on a plane and getting upwind in comparison with other wave and small freeride boards?

A1. This is highly individual. Compared to say a Kombat, an EVO is generally a bit less easy to plane super early on and also to get upwind in light wind on. The smaller the sail and the more powered up you are, the less noticeable this is. The reason for for ts is a more rocker and a softer ride which makes tit harder to feel where the "power center" is, is its harder to find a relaxed trim. But again, some people even find EVOs easier to plane on. And on a wave (as you noticed) planing is phenomenally good. A way to "get around" the (eventual) planing issue is to rig a bit bigger. The soft character of the EVO ride handles more power very well.

Q2. Can they jump well off small and mid-sized chop?

A1. I would say yes.

Q3. Do the Kombat's also have that ultra-easy / turny feel?

A3. No. Kombats have a great bottom turn and a precise top turn, just like the Pure Acids, but it does not at all have the same turny feel as the EVOs.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote