Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29th November 2007, 11:48 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default JIM DRAKE says "outside the box"

Hi Jim,
hi all others

I read the article in the brochure (also copied at the end of this email) written by JIM DRAKE.
It really sounds very good, but there is a part I dont understand, maybe is a bit complicated and says this...what does this means?:

"But don't bet on "The Box" holding. The fin's function can be transferred to a surface piercing cavitating inclined plane and the sail's drive can be increased by lowering its center-of-effort to the harness hook - borrowing from its cousins, the kite-board and the kite. "Outside The Box" for sure but it will first appear on the pages of a Starboard catalogue."

Here the complete article, maybe the context help to understand what Jim says...I am not sure if he say he is going to take some concepts from Kite design for new boards or viceversa...or maybe other explanation.

ARTICLE:

In my other career, "The Box" was called the "flight envelope", the irregular shaped map of altitude vs. speed within which an aircraft could fly - outside of which it could not. For example, at sea-level a modern fighter plane has to be going about 50 mps (100 knots) to fly at all and can't go faster there than about 400 mps without breaking up. At higher altitudes, it can accelerate to around 600 mps and climb to about 20 km before it runs short of lift and thrust. Different aircraft designs, of course, have different "flight envelopes." Helicopters and blimps fly just fine at zero speed but are no match for a fighter at high speed. "Pushing the envelope", i.e., "The Box", is what the aerospace industry has been steadily doing the past 100 or more years beginning with the Wright brothers and, before them, the Montgolfier brothers. A noted anomaly, however, is the X-15. It flew three times faster and three times higher than any manned aircraft - before or since. The only exception, the SR-71, it still beat by twice and twice, respectively. That's what I mean by "Outside The Box."

What does this have to do with windsurfing and Starboard? Quite a bit. Thinking and working "Outside The Box" is what Starboard does for windsurfing better than anyone else.

As one example, Starboard is moving the wind speed needed to windsurf "Outside The Box" and down to Zero. And when this happens, the number of eligible sites multiply -- the sand in your eyes disappears -- the size of bikinis shrink and their numbers rise. A sure-fire formula.

How does Zero happen? The first step has already been taken with Serenity. In winds as light as 1.0 mps and the flat water that goes with them, Serenity slips along at a remarkable speed without you noticing. Pump if you like for more speed or more exercise -- your choice. The next step springs from the origins of windsurfing and surfing: 1) standing and 2) using what nature provides to move. The stand-up paddle -- SUP -- is as logical as it can be. Why didn't we think of it before? And then there's the sail. Physics does not say that sails can't both power and glide. That's what birds do already - and in Zero wind, by the way.

What about stepping "Outside The Box" in the other direction -- The high speed direction? Here again, the conventional approach - in this case, high wind, small (special) sail, small board and special fin -- has run into the side of "The Box", at about 50 knots. Even if not, it will shortly when the fin can no longer be kept from cavitating. But don't bet on "The Box" holding. The fin's function can be transferred to a surface piercing cavitating inclined plane and the sail's drive can be increased by lowering its center-of-effort to the harness hook - borrowing from its cousins, the kite-board and the kite. "Outside The Box" for sure but it will first appear on the pages of a Starboard catalogue.

"40 years after the original Skate, his creative spirit is still in top gear. Jim, dear father, we wish you a happy 40th birthday. Thanks for everything you have brought to windsurfing." Wind France, May 2007

Jim Drake