Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 24th December 2007, 01:11 PM   #11
Bill Dawes

Default Sorry, that was me

My apologies, just had it brought to my attention that the previous posting didn't have my name on it. But it was indeed from me.
Old 27th December 2007, 09:29 AM   #12
carvesalot

The Kombat 89 in the test, if this is the board in question, I did not feel received a BAD write up, BUT did not make it to the "OUR Favourites "list which included 7 of 11 boards tested, reported as not popular with guest testers, more appreciated by pro-testers. Windsurf UK tested the Kombat 96 and it received a nice review, quicker to plane than last years model, I dont have the complete test to compare others.
Old 29th December 2007, 05:51 PM   #13
Rocket

Like many purchasers of windsurf gear, I would like to know what I am getting before I buy it. I have been windsurfing for 25 years and I could decide for myself, if I could have the chance to test them all. The best I could do is spend the money to go to the OTC in Tenerife and test all the boards, then have spent the money I would have spent on the board. Just explaining why independent testing or reports are important to me.

I was interested in the Kombat 96 and asked on here. I value the opinion of people who have no connection with a brand but have spent their hard earned money on it. I basically want unbiased, informative opinions. I do not blindly follow Boards test reports, but am constantly studying test opinions from any source for bias. I think generally, most windsurfers are smart enough to realise that a lot of what we read is influenced by people with financial links to the product.

I think replying to test results and putting a counter argument is a better way to deal with a less than glowing report. Withdrawing advertising infers to me that the company is 'leaning' on publishers to bias their results.

Last edited by Rocket; 29th December 2007 at 05:53 PM.
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2007, 12:51 AM   #14
carvesalot

Cool

Very well put.

As a Rocket, have you looked at the SOS or Tabou Rockets ?
Old 30th December 2007, 03:25 AM   #15
bill

Unhappy Business & Sport

I hope that Starboard and Boards resolve their differences in private, face to face, no emails or phone calls.

I believe that the present situation is damaging to both businesses and UK windsurfing.
Old 30th December 2007, 04:52 PM   #16
Phill104

I think both organisations are very professional and will sort out any differences.

I've only heard part of one side of the story so it would be unfair for me or anyone else to judge based on that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 04:14 PM   #17
Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvesalot View Post
Very well put.

As a Rocket, have you looked at the SOS or Tabou Rockets ?
No. A friend has sailed a Rocket and it did not sound like my type of board. I might reject many boards which would be perfect for other people, because I know what I want from a board.
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 05:02 PM   #18
Unregistered

Angry

Pathetic attitiude by Starboard. Well done Boards for standing up to them. Obviously, Starboard's transition from a design/innovation led company to a marketing driven, Mistral clone is complete.
Old 3rd January 2008, 03:21 AM   #19
Philip

Cool

Starboard would be the major brand that talks direct with its customers via the web discussion forum and where 'unregistered' commentators can say their piece. From where I sit their business model is clearly different for example to Boards & More or the NP group. Having used product from all three I am simply pleased about the way they have all brought WS along over the years. With regard to Boards mag I think it a good read, but as previously mentioned the prices here in Aussie land are a bit steep (and that goes for all WS mags).
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 12:27 AM   #20
Chris

Just popped across and read the boards thread.

I regularly read both Boards and Windsurf Mags and enjoy the board reviews within both. Boards reviews do make one think and theri panel includes guest testers as well. Windsurf on the other hand rarely makes any real negative points.

Surprised to see an advertising boycott by Tushingham and Starboard.

Tushingham is the UK importer for Starboard so perhaps it is only Tushingham….

Whatever, on the face of it, in my eyes, this apparent attitude of non-dialogue and withdrawal of advertising revenue as a result of a test report will be bad for windsurfing in general and for Tuhingham and Starboard in particular. Shame…

Incidentally I have within my ‘stuff’ 2 Starboard boards (carves) and 3 Tushingham sails (Lightning & 2 T3’s) amongst others….

Kind Regards
Chris
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote