Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 10th February 2008, 06:54 AM   #1
dennisrodgers

Default iSonic Vs. Formula (Again)

I'm looking for a board to replace my 2002 Formula 156. I sail mainly in San Diego where we typically have about 8 - 10 knots of wind. So, iSonic 155 or an updated formula board?? I'm mainly into early planing, going fast and hero jibes so those would be the priorities. I've never ridden an iSonic so I can't compare the two......such an agonizing decision......any thoughts????
dennisrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 10:39 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Dennis,
I vote for the big Isonic.
I've sailed the San Diego Area alot (about 12 years ago), and done some demos/ personal trips since, and while the newer formula boards might plane a tad sooner, I think the larger Isonics are more like what you are looking for.
What size sails do you intend to use?
I'm somewhat familiar with your skills from our Bonaire experiences, so I think with your skill level and weight, you'll be faster, plane almost as soon (you can bear off and pump the Isonic nicely) and the Isonics jibe considerably better.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 11:56 AM   #3
pfaffi

Send a message via Skype™ to pfaffi

However, but dont expect the big iSonic has the same up- and downwind performance as your old Formula.
br, peter
pfaffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 12:06 PM   #4
Unregistered

Smile

Thanks for the feedback guys. Roger, I was kinda leaning toward the path you recommended with the iSonic. I'm considering the 155 as I intend to use sails in the 9 - 11 m range and the width and extra flotation of the 155 seems to be a good call. There is a local semi-formal group of sailors that do monthly formula races. I don't always participate, but, want to have the option to if time permits. It sounds like I wouldn't be at too great a disadvantage against full on formula boards and could maybe get an edge in the turns.

I definitely appreciate any additional thoughts.....it ain't a small investment.

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 10th February 2008, 06:53 PM   #5
mark h

I'v just got a iS144 to replace my old F159. I'll use it with a 9m & 11m in summer breezes. Talking to the UKWA guys on the amature UK race circuit, they all say that the 2007 (narrower) iS133 only looses about 3 or 4 knots in wind minimum C/W formula. As Pfaffi says, up/down wind wont be as good, but should still be OK.

Cheers
mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 09:30 PM   #6
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Dennis,
Pfaffi and Mark are correct.
If you still want to do the formula races, you would be ill advised to get the Isonic.
Sorry, I thought you mostly did free sailing, not formula racing.
If you want to do the formula races (even local amateur ones) get the right tool for
the job.
That would be the F-162.
You are a competitive guy, so you need a competitive board or you'll be very frustrated when the fleet takes off for the upwind mark and you loose them by 5 degrees to weather. You can't make that up with better transtions at the marks or better tactics.
If the formula racing isn't that important, the Isonic 155, with a 9.5-10 m2 rig will get you going and be alot more fun IMHO.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 11:37 PM   #7
Unregistered

Thumbs up

Thanks for all your replies, I think I've got the info. I need now. Still not sure of my direction but at least I have a good idea of the proper decision criteria.