Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 20th February 2008, 12:21 AM   #41
jetwindsurf

Angry I windsurf/kitesurf/surf AND jetski when no wind

I am responsible citizen of Maui so what is problem?

No wonder they want shut off the water to us!!! You ca'nt see the Unified goles of this missions?
Old 20th February 2008, 01:11 AM   #42
Unregistered

Speaking of people not being able to tell the difference between Kiting and windsurfing.

Yesterday I was shocked to find out that two of my neighbors believe that Obama is Muslum.

So it is easy to see how people can easily group windsurfing and kiting together.

On another note, I was attacked at Hookipa years ago, by one of the HGA .

On a nice Sunday morning minding my own business, with a two foot swell, the guy put 32 holes into the bottom of my surfboard with the sharp point of his, as I held it between us to protect myself.
He was obviously on the "up for days crystal meth plan" and when he ran out of steam he quickly went to the beach and disapeared.

No help from the authorities.
Old 20th February 2008, 04:12 AM   #43
US-775

Hey, the fight isn't over. I just found ANOTHER bill trying to do the same thing. Check this out:

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/site1/...?billno=HB2222

Its a HOUSE bill similar to the SENATE bill as well.

If anyone wants to track these kind of things, create a google search alert with the parameters:

sailboard site:www.capitol.hawaii.gov

and create one with:

windsurf site:www.capitol.hawaii.gov

When you add it to your google, specify it as a WEB alert not a NEWS alert.

-Marc
Old 20th February 2008, 05:05 AM   #44
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
On a nice Sunday morning minding my own business, with a two foot swell, the guy put 32 holes into the bottom of my surfboard with the sharp point of his, as I held it between us to protect myself.
He was obviously on the "up for days crystal meth plan" and when he ran out of steam he quickly went to the beach and disapeared.

No help from the authorities.
WHEN THEY RUN OUT OF STEAM THAT WHEN YOU STOMP THEM...but thats when the authorities help them...
Old 20th February 2008, 05:09 AM   #45
shredulato

Default MUST READ I think thats the old bill BUT it states this ;

cut and pasted from the Hawaii State Legislature Bill Status

Report Title:

Ocean Recreation; Sailboards

Description:

Prohibits operators of sailboards from approaching within 200 feet of a swimmer or surfer in the ocean.

HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
H.B. NO.

TWENTY-FOURTH LEGISLATURE, 2008

STATE OF HAWAII

A BILL FOR AN ACT

RELATING TO SAILBOARDS.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:

SECTION 1. The legislature finds that surfers and swimmers using Hawaii's oceans for recreation face a danger from operators of sailboards and kiteboards. Sailboarders and kiteboarders often operate their craft at high speeds in areas crowded with surfers and swimmers. Kiteboards and sailboards are much heavier and faster and could cause serious injury if they were to collide with a swimmer or surfer. The purpose of this Act is to ensure water safety by prohibiting the operator of a sailboard or kiteboard from approaching within two hundred feet of a swimmer or surfer in the water.

SECTION 2. Chapter 200, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended by adding a new section to part II to be appropriately designated and to read as follows:

"200- Operation of sailboards and kiteboards. No person shall operate a sailboard or kiteboard within two hundred feet of another person swimming or using a surfboard within the waters of the State.

For the purposes of this section, "sailboard or kiteboard" means any type of board that is propelled by a detachable sail or kite apparatus.

For the purposes of this section, "surfboard" means any type of board that is used for the sport of surf-riding and includes boards commonly known as "body boards"."

SECTION 3. This Act does not affect rights and duties that matured, penalties that were incurred, and proceedings that were begun, before its effective date.

SECTION 4. New statutory material is underscored.

SECTION 5. This Act shall take effect upon its approval.

INTRODUCED BY:
Old 20th February 2008, 06:29 AM   #46
US-775

SB2091 and HB2222 are mirror bills for the same thing but one is SENATE and one is HOUSE. We have to stay on top of BOTH bills to make sure everything stays cool. They were introduced around the same time. Only SB2091 has gotten a reading and hearing.
Old 20th February 2008, 07:15 AM   #47
Unregistered

Default red tape fouls laminar flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by US-775 View Post
SB2091 and HB2222 are mirror bills for the same thing but one is SENATE and one is HOUSE. We have to stay on top of BOTH bills to make sure everything stays cool. They were introduced around the same time. Only SB2091 has gotten a reading and hearing.
ah i see,
the twisted vagaries of goverment !!
shredulato
Old 25th February 2008, 10:55 AM   #48
H........G............A

Talking Rule 10-102-22

Thank you Auntie and Uncle(s)!!!

We ridem out!!!
Old 26th February 2008, 03:46 AM   #49
Unregistered

Default Now they're going after teaching schools

For the latest attempts to regulate windurfing out of existence, catch up with the breaking news on this thread at Windsurfing Mag:

http://forums.windsurfingmag.com/showthread.php?t=331

Reports of the latest attempt starts toward the end of page 2. And once again this issue is time sensitive
Old 26th February 2008, 07:02 AM   #50
Unregistered

It's ridiculous to imagine that windsurfing instruction is being singled out, or that the County is for some reason trying to kill windsurfing.

the fact is, the County Administration has had issues and complaints on over-exploitation, over-use, and over-crowding by instructional/guided groups of other activities (scuba, kayak, etc.) at a number of locations.

So, they are trying to enact some sweeping rules to address all possible scenarios involving watersports instruction.

Why was windsurfing indiscriminately included in the proposed regulation? Because windsurfing operators have not bothered to educated the administration on the practices and standards of the sport, or to develop relationships with the administration.

Maybe this will be a wake-up call for them on what they need to do?