Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 10th April 2008, 08:12 PM   #11
Jean-Marc
TEAM

I also agree you can't please everybody with either 1 stock fin or with 2 stock fins. I use 3 or 4 fins for each of my boards, mostly depending on the conditions and sail size. The choice is even greater with a crossover board that can do wavesailing, freestyling or freeriding. One can choose many best-in-class fins for each of the 3 programs above or one can choose a single do-it-all crossover fin. Good news is that the current market is almost without boundaries for the customer. Bad news is which one to pick up for your own taste/skills/setup without first hand testing. Forums like this one are a wonderfull place to start your upgrade inquiry and to please almost all customers.

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 11:40 AM   #12
jonthesailorman

Wow, look at all the ruckus I've stirred up! lol This has turned out to be an interesting topic indeed. I once again have to thank everyone for the replies, your advice is very helpful.

The dilemma of choosing the right fins to ship with your boards does no doubt sound like a daunting one. For instance, I plugged in a MFC FS pro 20cm into my '08 K89 when flat water sailing, and I liked it much more than the Drake Natural. Thats on flat water though. My idea regarding crossover boards is that they should be thought of as the swiss-army knives of windsurfing. Meaning these boards are adaptable to anyones sailing style with the simple switch of the fin and sail types. The problem arises when people buy a board in this genre with the anticipation of the board performing well in all situations all the time with out question. As most of us hopefully know by now, it doesn't work that way. I believe that if a persons idea is to go with a crossover board, then they should be fully prepared to supply it with the necessary accessories required for the board to perform in the way they would like it too. I understand this and thats why I started this thread, to help steer me in the right direction.

Last edited by jonthesailorman; 11th April 2008 at 11:43 AM.
jonthesailorman is offline   Reply With Quote