Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 22nd April 2008, 04:37 PM   #1
blazer

Default Rigging '08 Gaastra GTX issues

Anyone have experience rigging a Gaastra GTX? I posted a thread on Gaastra's forum for help but haven't received any feedback as of yet.

I tried the usual technique of sliding the mast (FS 7000) over the cams, attaching the boom, adding some outhaul. Couldn't pop cams onto mast.
Then I took everything apart and slide the mast through the cams. This worked but was a real pain getting the mast all the way in. I was exhausted before I even hit the water.

After sailing, getting the mast out of the sail proved to be just as daunting.

Any thoughts or helpful hints?

Thankfully, the performance was very good.
blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 07:33 PM   #2
Klint

The GTX should be rigged by sliding mast through cambers. And yes, in some cases it's easier to rig a pure race sail (Vapor etc) where you pop the cams on. The GTX is nevertheless an excellent product with good performance with which you will have lots of fun.

/ Andy

Last edited by Klint; 4th March 2009 at 06:48 PM.
Klint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 07:35 PM   #3
Ken

I am guessing that you just have to slide the cams over the mast from the beginning. This is pretty standard for small luff sleeve sails like the GTX.

Rigging with the cambers off the mast and popping them on after you down haul and out haul is for the large luff sleeve, 4 cam race sails.

I think you are just going to take the time to work the cambers up the mast. Lubricating your mast with a little McLube (not sure about the spelling) spray may help. In time, the sail material will soften a bit and it will get easier to rig.

Good luck
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2008, 01:48 AM   #4
blazer

Thanks for the advice. That's what I figured on my second attempt to rig it. Hopefully the luff sleeve will stretch a little over time to make it easier getting the mast in and out.

Thanks again.
Old 23rd April 2008, 04:18 PM   #5
Unregistered

Some friends have bought a couple of 2007 GTX, size 8.0 to 9.0

A very good sail in water but a real nightmare in rigging and de-rigging.

So, despite good performances, they want to sell them.

It's a real pity that Gaastra sailmakers haven't use "mast over cambers" rigging procedure in this sail.
Old 23rd April 2008, 11:18 PM   #6
Ken

Unregistered,

Non race sails will probably never have "mast over cambers" rigging. It takes a large luff sleeve for it to work, which will NOT be popular with recreational sailors. You don't want to drop these sails in the water for long since the luff holds A LOT of water.

They are more expensive to make, which again will not be popular with the average sailor.

I am not saying that Gaastra can't do better with the GTX rigging, they probably can. I also can't believe that rigging a two cam sail is that difficult. An extra minute over a no cam sail? I can live with that. I had a GTX 6.5 for several years and it was no big deal to rig. I guess the new ones aren't as user friendly.
Old 24th April 2008, 02:52 AM   #7
Unregistered

Ken said: ..."I had a GTX 6.5 for several years and it was no big deal to rig..."

Sure: rigging old Gaastra was a dream; from 2007 model it has become a stressful operation.

Ken said: ..."Non race sails will probably never have "mast over cambers" rigging..."

Wrong: free-race sails like 2006-2007 North Daytona (three cambers like GTX), USE right a "mast over cambers" rigging procedure.
Old 24th April 2008, 04:30 AM   #8
Ken

Unrergistered,

Thanks for the info. Too many sails out there for me to know how they all rig. The only sails that I have seen that rig with the "mast over cambers" are race sails, but no one in my area sails with North so I have no experience with how they rig.

I never said that the new GTX sails were "no big deal" to rig, I was just commenting on my old GTX. I did say "I guess the new ones aren't as user friendly", which seems to support Blazer's original post where I suggested he try McLube for easier rigging.
Old 24th April 2008, 07:20 AM   #9
blazer

I've been rigging NP V8's for several years with my latest one a '05 10.6. All with the mast over camber rigging technique with out any issues. Wasn't too happy with the construction quality on that one so decided to make a switch. Was looking between the GTX and North Ram F8. Due to availability, went with the GTX. I think North is promoting rigging the Ram through the cambers as well.

Granted it was my first time rigging the GTX as well as the first time out this season, I was a little anxious to hit the water. Maybe the next time I'll have the magic touch and rig it a little faster.

I have a can of the McLube and will give that a try next time. Hopefully it gets easier.

The thing that really stunk was de-rigging after a tiring session. It was just as hard getting the mast out of the sail as getting it in.
Old 24th April 2008, 03:26 PM   #10
Klint

Gaastra GTX are brilliant sails, I'm very satisfied with these foils. Not as easy and straight forward as compared to rigging no cam free ride sails though, you'll have to gradually and carefully work your way down the mast along the luff of the sail. Once getting used to the slightly harder mast insertion process I don't think rigging the GTX is an issue.
Klint is offline   Reply With Quote