Default RE: Starboard Appollo/Formula Windsurfing

Oops sorry wrong thread.....

Nathan
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2006, 07:01 PM   #32
milk laser

Hi Steve C,
I want once more repeat that I'm not against progress in design and technology.
You are right on most points. I have understood that social side of racing has different forms in different countries. I see it as the most important thing, but somewhere it plays not so significant role.

Just checked FW Worlds in Korea results. There are no racers from US.
I'm not sure if I'm correct, but in Australia Worlds Micah Buzianis was the only man from US.
milk laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 02:07 AM   #33
steveC

Hi milk laser,

You're correct about the social side of windsurfing being different in places around the world. From my perspective, so much depends on the advantages of location. Although I live in a fantasic coastal community where one would think that windsurfing would thrive year round, there are very few windsurfers. Yet, the SF Bay area to the north has a very active racing scene that is one of the strongest in the US. There are other similar core spots that have active racing communities, but windsurfing still tends to be a fringe type sport in the US.

Regarding US competitors in Melborne, Australia last year, there actually a number of competitors from the US. In addition to Micah Buzianis, Kevin Pritchard, Jimmy Diaz, Devin Boulon, Seth Besse, Steve Bodner, and Michael Porter all attended the event. Three of these guys were in the top 10 places. I guess the fact that Diaz, Boulon and Porter are shown to be from the US Virgin Islands (ISV) tends to confuse things a bit.

In FW Worlds in Korea, Jimmy Diaz was the only entry from the US.

With the large population in the US, one would think that there would be far more windsurfers participating in the sport. This has always been a big mystery to me. I could surmise much about why this is true, but at the root of things, I think that very few folks actually see themselves as a part of the vision. Maybe with the strong focus the windsurfing industry is now putting on longboards will change things. Time will tell.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote