Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 26th April 2008, 04:00 PM   #1
DEN-137

Default severne codered vs. NP RS:Racing

hi, what of this sails is best? speed, control ?

Patrick Simiglai
thanks
DEN-137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 04:17 PM   #2
geo

Easy... CodeReds won't perform, NP will break masts... so it depends on what you prefer...
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 08:54 AM   #3
Unregistered

I will translate that for you. Geo means get a Maui sails Tr-4

Oh, you wont be able to carry it as its so heavy unless you buy the special order version.

And to save the next reply, better get a carbon art as well why you are at it
Old 27th April 2008, 12:37 PM   #4
roark

hmmm.. what about V8 vs MS-2 vs Overdrive vs S-type?

Which is the best in a 10m size on a formula for a lightweight sailor?

things to compare are low end power / stability when the wind picks up / weight / handling on the water / durability?

So many choices for free-race sails on the market! Appreciate it if the windsurfers who have had experience blasting on these sails would chip in if their advice and opinions!
Old 27th April 2008, 05:59 PM   #5
Unregistered

I've used recent S-Type and GTX in large sizes. My impressions are not scientific but the GTX 10.5m was beautiful to use, and my favourite. Tushingham Lighting is very nice too. My V8 is an earlier edition so perhaps not fair to say it doesn't quite match up, feeling 'heavier' in use. It's actually pretty heavy on the scales too, and the static weight is something you certainly notice trying any of the full race sails after the best freeracers. Interesting Maui do a special light version, didn't know that, at least they own up to the 8.4kg weight of their standard 12.- Many brands don't quote a weight, which when you think for example of the emphasis placed on mast weight, is crazy. I do know Aerotech can do a Pentex version of their VMG, and user feedback is that it makes a real difference.

Seems like most riders don't want to bother with this big kit, and I've gotta admit theres a case sticking to freestyle practice when it's light. But skimming effortless over the flat water at a windspeed multiple, and making the use of every little puff to work upwind is absorbing and satisfying to me.
Old 28th April 2008, 03:17 PM   #6
geo

Unregistered (post #3),
I didn't say that... but if you do... only believe me, I wouldn't have commented if the choice was, say, between North Sails Warp and Gaastra Vapor; even if, as you say, I have strong preferences. Point is that, to my eyes at least, Neil Pryde looses any credibility by giving a 6 months warranty on race masts (in EC 24 months is the law), and Severne by spraying the film. Meaning NP can't solve their technical issues and Severne tries to appeal buyers with means other than performances.

Anyhow: it doesn't seem to me that TR-4 sails are that much heavier than competitors to make any difference. Fact is, usually TR-4 are rigged on heavish Maui Sails booms that add some to rig weight. Recently I rigged a 7.0 TR-3 on an old Fiberspar 180-226 carbon boom and it felt featherweight; but since when I am using the Maui Sails boom, I am addicted to it and easily swap some weight saving for the hyper stiffness and sturdy build.
From a more technical point of view, 9 battens are heavy indeed, but this way you can have stability beyond reproach AND a soft feeling, easy to use sail. Other makes as an instance seeks stability using extreme mast bends, with obvious consequences... again, it's a matter of preferences...

Last edited by geo; 28th April 2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 28th April 2008, 06:00 PM   #7
Unregistered

I've had lot of doubts this winter before choosing the sails for the new season.I've talked a lot with GEO about it.I came from NP and North experience.During that period I've had some chance to test tr-4's.Plus I've competed in a national slalom comp where many of my beliefs have been resetted.But,if I have to report what I've seen,Severne was second in a strong fleet (where Point 7 won).
Does it mean they're fast or slow??
In my opinion,as GEO says,there's not a noticieable fastest sail and there's no way to really achieve that point.In a comp there are so many variables that influence your speed that you really can't say what's best.And if you look at a "freeride" sailing MS has shown how fast they really could be (50+ !).
I didn't liked so much MS (just because my background is far way different) but I coudn't ever say they're slow.
As always it's a matter of preference,confidence in what you sail and how much you're willed to right trim the stuff.
Old 28th April 2008, 08:19 PM   #8
geo

In fact. In the end, many many things matter. I am sure a top notch sailor can be fast on almost any proper race sail. BUT. Still there are differences. Sails can be easy to sail, or not; can drain your energy out just to keep them in control, while on others your sailing sessions are just bliss 100% of the time; it can be easy to rig them properly, or it can be a nightmare that takes the fun out of the first few sessions in the season (and this can mean a lot for a recreational sailor!). Rig components may be well assorted, or not: think about the mast issue, there are people using NP sails that would never buy a NP mast for the obvious reasons we all know, and devote lots of time to find the "right" alternative mast.
In the end: if one can rely on large resources both in time and money, like a pro sailor or a very wealthy individual, I am sure he will be able to make the best of just any sail brand he picks. But if one is a recreational sailor, or even a competitive racer on a budget, I think he should better choose totally dependable stuff in order to get the most fun out of his TOW and the most performance out of his budget. This to me means quite a few sail makes are not an option, because of different reasons. In the end, my "reasoned" personal short list is very very short.

Last edited by geo; 28th April 2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 28th April 2008, 11:15 PM   #9
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
In fact. In the end, many many things matter. I am sure a top notch sailor can be fast on almost any proper race sail. BUT. Still there are differences. Sails can be easy to sail, or not; can drain your energy out just to keep them in control, while on others your sailing sessions are just bliss 100% of the time; it can be easy to rig them properly, or it can be a nightmare that takes the fun out of the first few sessions in the season (and this can mean a lot for a recreational sailor!). Rig components may be well assorted, or not: think about the mast issue, there are people using NP sails that would never buy a NP mast for the obvious reasons we all know, and devote lots of time to find the "right" alternative mast.
In the end: if one can rely on large resources both in time and money, like a pro sailor or a very wealthy individual, I am sure he will be able to make the best of just any sail brand he picks. But if one is a recreational sailor, or even a competitive racer on a budget, I think he should better choose totally dependable stuff in order to get the most fun out of his TOW and the most performance out of his budget. This to me means quite a few sail makes are not an option, because of different reasons. In the end, my "reasoned" personal short list is very very short.
are geo and LeeD the same person?
Old 28th April 2008, 11:53 PM   #10
geo

No. Sorry.